Right-click Paste Here menu item

I know this is an idea stolen from Sketch, but I think it is worth stealing as it is good! :grin:

1. Copy an item from one part of the canvas
  2. Move to where you want to insert it
  3. Right click the mouse and one of the right click menu items is Paste here
  4. This allows you to paste in the spot of choice

The current behaviour is once youā€™ve copied something, if you paste it pastes on top of the original item, which is useful if you need it, but not useful if you have already moved around the canvas.

5 Likes

ā‡§āŒ˜V on a selected item will paste to that itemā€™s x and y value.
For additional flexibility, try my plugin copy paste position size
I hope this helps, I came from Sketch as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you - yeah i knew about the ā‡§āŒ˜V. Feels like the right click idea is just a nice extra bit of usability that wouldnā€™t be the hardest to implement

3 Likes

Iā€™d love this (my ā‡§āŒ˜V shortcut is occupied by a different application :))

When I copy and paste objects, I feel like Figma is constantly trying to paste into my auto layouts, and itā€™s always moving my viewport or pasting into really random places. One feature I use in Sketch often is the ā€œpaste hereā€ feature, accessed by right clicking. Itā€™s such a simple way to know exactly where Iā€™m pasting an element. I would love to have something like this in Figma.

Does anyone have a workaround for this?

2 Likes

Hey All,

Our team has been working hard to make pasting more intuitive across, and weā€™ve added three new features, including ā€œPaste hereā€. You can learn more on the playground file here!

2 Likes

I think I have found a bug with your new ā€œpast hereā€ (which I love).
I have copied something from one file that I have open in Figma Desktop for Mac and toggle to another file that is also open. Paste, works as always. But if I try ā€œpaste hereā€ I get a very strange behavior. First, it was pasting something that I had loaded in the copy buffer and pasted long ago. So I reloaded Figma for desktop. Now it wonā€™t paste anything when I try ā€œpaste hereā€. Paste still works as expected.

Hey @Sheldon,

Thanks for flagging this! You can submit a bug report to our support team directly via the form here:
https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360001744374

Used this so many times in Sketch. Very happy this is now in Figma. Pasting could be quite annoying before.

1 Like

It would be so helpful and intuitive if an item could paste at the spot the cursor is. Right now, it instead pastes at an unspecific spot in the viewport and you then have to drag it to the spot you wanted it.

I havenā€™t seen any other tool do this but Iā€™m not sure why!

Another user brought up this as an issue:

Here is a video of the issue (just got promoted a trust level so I couldnā€™t upload in the original post)