Pen tool is not working properly

I am unable to use Figma Pen Tool as it is not working properly. The few times, it draws line when dragged and single clicked, but most of the times it does not.

The dragged end must appear round when dragged, however, it turns out to be flat (square shaped) and when I single click, the line disappears.

I have tried to use this pen tool on both Browser (Chrome) and Figma desktop Application, but got same issue both the times.

I have never used any Design Tool and I am totally new to this field, hence totally frustrated. Please suggest.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m also having this issue. Could somebody reply to advise how to fix this or what need to do differently?

Thanks.

Hey everyone, apologies if this has been impacting your work! I wasn’t unable to reproduce this bug on my end. Please let me know if I am missing a step?

Are you able to share a screen recording with me?

I’d recommend to Force-quit and open Figma in a new browser window. And for the desktop app Force-quit the Figma Desktop app and restart it. Additionally, please try clearing the cache in the desktop app.

Also, please check out our Help Center article to see if you have the minimum requirement for the browser and the operating system (OS): https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039827194-What-browsers-does-Figma-support#browser.

Thank you in advance!

try double click when your on the ending spot

Hey @Lotan_Goldman, you’re absolutely right! I am able to reproduce this bug on my end. Let me ask internally if the team is aware of this bug.

I’ll give an update soon, appreciate your patience in the meantime!

Hey everyone, apologies for the delayed response. I’ve checked in with the team and they’ve confirmed that this this seems to be an expected behaviour. So there might be a slight misunderstanding of how to use the pen tool with specific mouse/touchpad click inputs.

• If you click once (mouse down + mouse up) it drops a vector node, then moving the cursor will position your next vector node to position. Clicking once again will drop the second node.
  • If you click and hold (mouse down only and hold it) to drop a vector node, moving the cursor will position the handle that controls bending the curve of the vector with respect to the first node. Once letting go of the hold, it will drop the handle, and moving the cursor will position your next vector node

Could you please confirm what granular inputs you’re doing with your mouse/touchpad and in what order? i.e. mouse down → mouse up vs mouse down → hold and move → mouse up

I’ve shared my screen recording and the team has confirmed that the behavior when double clicking seems intentional. It seems to be a small shortcut for selecting the shape. When finishing drawing the last node dropps without having to switch back to the selection tool just to make a selection.

Let me know if something is unclear, happy to clarify. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hiya! I was finally able to create a simple arrow using the click once technique. Thank you for explaining!

1 Like