Paragraph indent: negative values

Want to make a list with custom markers? The easiest way would be to put the custom symbol in the beginning of each line and then apply negative paragraph indentation to shift the markers to the left. The problem is that Paragraph indent doesn’t support negative values :unamused:

Does anyone else find it helpful if this would be possible?

Yes, I can always do this using two text objects, but obviously it would be better to do it using just one object.

6 Likes

Bullet point indenting and paragraph indenting is currently very limited. If we are truly going to switch to Figma to do all our layouts, we need full control of text.

Typography is a huge part of graphics, app and website layouts.

Though adobe may be annoying, indesign is a very bench mark for how to give full capabilities for text and typesetting.

These include allowing you to

• set negative indentation.
  • set first line indentation.
  • customising space before and after bullet points.

It would be great if Figma could follow suit.

10 Likes
  1. Please introduce first-line indent, and first-line hanging features for paragraph indentation.
    I create documents in Figma as well as designs, and typography layout is obviously super important.

2. After having trawled the forum and plugins, I can’t find an easy workaround for this one. :frowning: Please help if you know any tricks!

3. I did find a post or two in the forum complaining about similar problems but this issue hadn’t been escalated to its own topic.

See: Paragraph indent: negative values - #2 by David_Cuesta

See screenshot for indentation examples:

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.02.52 PM

4 Likes

yes - please do this

3 Likes

Heya. Another vote for paragraph indents with negative values.

1 Like