Organizing Export to Single PDF

Is there a way to create a selection set of frames for export?

When exporting to single page PDF (via File → Export Frames to PDF) all frames on the page are exported to a single PDF, including master components or anything else floating around. If you use the export section in the design panel, you can create a selection of frames to export, but they export as individual files.

I want to be able to select specific frames for export, and then have them export to a single PDF. Even better if I can save that selection, so I don’t have to reselect all the frames.

Also, it would be great if there was a way to organize the order in which those frames export. That way I don’t have to worry about how they’re actually organized on the page.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure you should be able to do it with TinyImage and PitchDeck plugins by @Hypermatic. Other than that there is no way.

Totally agree! Even Adobe XD could export selected frames to single PDF, I wish Figma could do the same too. Sometimes the other frames are just draft, I will have to manually remove the frames in the PDF. It would be a bummer.

3 Likes

I have had the same problem for some time. I found a workaround, which was pretty simple but depending on your use case, might work:

• Hide frames you do not want to export (select all and press CTRL + SHIFT + H)
  • Export frames to PDF will now export only the visible frames to a single PDF file
1 Like

export to pdf

Use search ⌘+P and enter “pdf” and choose “Export frames to PDF…” to export all frames on page to one single PDF. :smile:

4 Likes

its helpful perfect, thanks for the info

1 Like

Just ran into this problem where I need to select certain frames to export to PDF but it exports all of them instead. I have 15 frames I want to show my PM and it exported 28 instead. Any headway on when you can export just the selected frames to PDF?

1 Like

To make sure only the frames you want are exported make a page in the file that only has those frames in it. If you have components or other frames you want to keep, move them to another page. Figma only exports the frames that are on that single page.

You can also control the order the pages are exported by changing the order of the pages in the layers panel.

1 Like

Extra tip: you need to “frame the frames” again (each one in order) to export pages in order.

Hi! It’s not what everyone is asking for, and I too wish PDF’ing only selected frames were an option, but here a solution that requires bare-minimum effort.

1. Select the frames you want to output to PDF.
  2. Choose menu item Object > Hide Other Layers
  3. Export Pages to PDF
  4. Undo Hide Other Layers

As an aside, I like that Figma relies on how the top-level frames are laid out on the Figma page to determine the PDF order, and not on their z-order like in Sketch, which was a monumental pain.

I use the following layout for document pages (a.k.a., top-level frames), which is a layout that Figma recognizes when deciding how to order pages in the PDF. This layout is also helpful for design reviews when conducted in Figma itself.

As a bit of promotion, I wrote a plugin – initially in the hellscape of Sketch’s API and now in Figma’s – that organizes such a document for you, providing section numbers, page numbers, and a table-of-contents (listing sections), using the same layout rules that Figma uses to determine PDF page order. It’s a big time-saver.

Plugin: Organize Document

1 Like

This 1000% made my life easier. GREAT workaround.

There’s another way if you’re using Mac

1. Export as individual
  2. Select all
  3. Right click then “Quick Action” > “Create PDF”

More detailed pic-by-pic How to Export Selected Multiple Frames in Figma to a Single, Multi-Page PDF using MacOS

Another workaround option: Figma allows you to create mutliple pages. Create a page called Export and copy the frames you want to export to that page. Then export to PDF and it only exports the frames from that page.

This is an especially nice approach if you’re just trying to export your finals without reference and draft pages. I also keep a page call “Archive” and another called “Reference.” Move those things in and out of your main workspace as needed.

@Brian_Gundersdorf that’s a great solution and there is a better one too. It’s the Super PDF plugin which can export any frame or section or whatever you choose straight from the canvas and merge it to a single PDF file. It’s faster than creating a new page and copying the frame there.

You can give it a try here, it’s free.