Open the desktop app button doesn't work

I can’t work in the app anymore. Only browser version works but doesn’t allow me to open the desktop app. The “Open the desktop app” button isn’t active

2 Likes

Have you tried reinstalling the desktop app?

Hello I am having the same issue! I tried downloading the app again, log out and log in again from both browser and app…
I keep seeing the “Download the app” from the browser… No way to open the file from the browser to the app.
Anything I can do to fix this?

1 Like

Just to clarify, what I am trying to achieve is to open a file from the browser to the app. Normally it should allow me to do that when I click on the figma menu in the top right. But as mentioned all it says is “Get the desktop app” even though the app is already installed, and I am logged in with my account on both web and desktop

1 Like

Any update on this?

Hey, sorry for the trouble!

Can you try clearing your browser and app cache as well as check that you’re logged into both the browser and the Desktop app with the same account?

Here’s how to clear the desktop app cache on a Mac:

1. Quit the Figma desktop app
  2. Open Terminal.app and enter the following command: rm -rf "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Figma/"{Desktop,DesktopProfile}
  3. Try opening the desktop app again

Here’s how to clear the desktop app cache on Windows:

1. Close the Figma desktop app
  2. Open the Start menu, and paste in this, followed by enter: %APPDATA%\Figma
  3. In the window that opens, delete the Desktop and DesktopProfile folders if they exist
  4. Launch the desktop app again
4 Likes

This one worked for me, thanks! :smiley:

1 Like

I thought it worked. When I did these actions, there was a field that allowed open desktop app links from the browser. But when I tried to open the link - again. Doesn’t redirect to the app…=(

Not working in 2023 Nov

Me too. it doesn’t work. I can’t launch Figma app. when double click app icon, it close down automatically.

Same issue here. On Safari I only get the “Get desktop app” option.

Been like this for a while for me. I’ve done everything I could, deleting, installing again, removing the files, etc. Nothing working for the application on windows. Very annoying

1 Like

Any updates on this @dvaliao ? Figma links still not opening my app on mac.

Hey @Dennis8, sorry to hear you’re still having trouble opening links on your Mac!

The best solution is already listed above! :point_up:

Is it still not working after following all steps and doing a hard restart of your Mac?

@dvaliao still not working even after steps you described.

@dvaliao still not working even after steps you described.

[Discourse post]

Hi everyone, just wanted to update that in addition to clearing your desktop cache to also make sure you clear your browser cache and sign into the browser before the desktop app.

You can follow the steps outlined below:

1. Check the Desktop app is up to date and then clear the Desktop app cache,
  2. Check that your default browser is supported and up to date (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari) and clear the cache there too.
  3. Sign into Figma in the browser
  4. Sign into the desktop app.

If this doesn’t help, feel free to reach out to our support team directly via this form for help: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new Please include a short video and capture a desktop app debug log to share in your support request.

This still isn’t working. I have done all the steps listed above a number of times and Open in Figma button still opens the file in Safari.

1 Like

This is happening for me as well, and it happened after i installed the latest update. Anyone found a solution? The current desktop app just bounces up and down in my dock and will not open.

Same here - impossible to open any file in the desktop app. The app always redirects to logging in using the browser, no file will open. Clearing cache, reinstalling app makes no difference.

Have Figma abandoned (or broken) their desktop app?

1 Like