Main component linking not working in prototype

I used this feature in my prototype last week. I linked these main components. And everything worked correctly. When I click somewhere on Details button on instance component, the popup with details is opened.

But now this action isn’t work… Is it bug? Sure, I can link all Detail buttons of all design layouts to Place details popup… but it’s not good at all. Instead to link once, I now need to link too many times :face_exhaling:

P.S.: This is how I had to do it now on other project, it’s odd… :smiling_face_with_tear:

Hey Ann_Kaiser,

Have you tried to change your interaction settings to “swap overlay” instead of “open overlay”?

Card/Restaurant (on screenshot) isn’t Popup. It’s restaurant card, used in restaurant list. So, using here Swap overlay isn’t correct, and this doesn’t work… :smiling_face_with_tear:

Alright, could you share a link of the file? Doesn’t need to be the whole file, but the screens you have trouble with, so I could reproduce the error.

Here, please :slight_smile: https://www.figma.com/file/vRnSliFhovH5fEoaM6fMH5/UX-Lunch-time-%2F-Prototype-(Copy)?node-id=629%3A765

Thank you! I think I found the problem. If the components don’t “life” on the same page figma seems like to not understand what’s happening. If you have the two components on the same page where your initial screen is it works.

I guess it has something todo with the transportation of information. If you use your card component on another page (as an instance) (1) it needs also to store the information of the other overlay component even if it’s not there. Figma has then trouble to find the component overlay (2) and the interaction doesn’t work.

A simple example is to try to have a button that opens a frame from another page as an overlay, figma needs a reference and if it’s not living on the same page it will be ignored, that’s what (3) would be in the image above if it’s possible.

Thank you! I moved all the components to the prototype page and everything worked. However, before that, I had to replace the components with which the problem arose in the layouts, since the connection was lost in them. Very strange because when I finished working on the prototype, all the components were placed on a different page and everything worked perfectly … I think it has something to do with the new Figma updates. In any case, thank you very much for your help! :blush:

You are welcome, happy that it works now and yes it sounds a bit strange. It also helps sometimes to directly asked over the implemented figma feedback tool, the question mark in the bottom right corner, they are closer to the product, but take longer to answer.

Here is btw. The feature you are looking for Create one prototype across the pages in a file

1 Like

Nice idea :slight_smile: I’ll use it, thnx!