Lock an instance of a component so it's not affected by updates

We maintain a single design file for a feature and iterate within it. It would be helpful if once a design is complete, we could lock the frames, or instances of components, within the frames so they no longer receive component updates.

Being able to reference previous versions of a design is critical for us, and the way libraries work right now breaks this.

(edited to be more clear - locking instances of components)

1 Like

Wouldn’t detaching the components solve this? You could also add a note somewhere on the page that refers people to the latest version of the various components so they can refer to them as necessary.

Yeah, that would be how we could do it now, but it becomes pretty time consuming…

There do seem to be plugins that could help with this (detaching all components / sub-components).

It’s a good thought, thank you @RizePoint_Product

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I am new to Figma and Learning to create my own sharable Library… I am creating components and have to iterate over them couple of times… as I am still learning to optimize them.

I need a way to test my Components over the iteratation.
This will help being able to verify changes by creating a new instance from the updated component and then verify it with the locked version.

Definitely, we can do it by creating duplicate components and then creating instances(2) from it… and then detaching one of the instance… so that you can always rollback to your last reference. … But, this is cumbersome if your component has variants and other properties… So you have to do it for all possible combinations.

It would be great if we could lock the instances, or instances of components within the frames/sections so they no longer reflect Main Component updates.
And when you Unlock them… it should ask for Review if changed … Keep Original instance… or update Main Component Reference.