🎬 Live Embeds... within Figma!

You know how sometimes you feel like having a copy of a screen in another file (or page), and would like to have it be updated automatically, but it feels overkill to create a main component out of that screen? If you just copy and paste it (for example for creating a prototype in a separate Page without messing your original screens), it’s pretty much instantly out of date.

You also know how you can embed Figma files, frames or prototypes in any website, even integrating in other services like Jira and Dropbox with the Live Embed Kit. It works AMAZING, it shows even up-to-date designs, and you’re simply copy-pasting a link, without the overengineering of extra components.

What if this would work within Figma itself?? Check this out:

Would this be useful for anyone else? We for example would like to have an example of “usage” of each component in the Components Library, which is usually a screen taken from a variety of other files. But they invariably get out of date super soon.

Maybe this can be achieved through a plugin?

5 Likes

This would be very useful! I wonder if it can be done within the same file too - sometimes I need to show a snapshot of a design on a very separate page in the same file.

2 Likes

Perhaps instead of live updates, a user can choose to “refresh” the frame to pull the update. If it’s happening live, it might be disruptive for presentations, or could add server load.

2 Likes

Love that idea! Would have to be a toggle “Automatic refresh yes/no” with yes as default
(most times the screens would be in pages where nobody’s going to take care of refresh).

Shankar, yes I’d imagine this would work within a file as well. Dreaming is for free :smiley:

That would be a great new feature. Could use that in several files and it would make my work much more efficient!

1 Like

I love this idea! Seems like it should be totally possible with a plugin or widget, I’d think, but not sure. Even if live sync doesn’t work, a button to refresh to the latest version would be great.

1 Like