How do I maintain the aspect ratio of a child frame when resizing the parent frame?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the aspect ratio tool work properly as I always have to hold shift. Likewise, using the “scale” constraints leads to a stretched child frame.

Does anyone know a way to allow this functionality? Seems pretty basic, hoping I missed something somewhere.

3 Likes

There is a solution that allows you to do that, its a little bit hacky though. This file illustrates how it works: Figma - Fixed aspect ratio in Figma Auto Layout | Change the width of Auto Layout component keeping the aspect ratio of its child element. It's per...

Hi Jan, appreciate the link! It’s a little too hacky to be able to use in designs. Also, I prefer using a vector logo in my design for proper scaling (non-image). Hopefully this is on the roadmap for the development team. Intuition says the scale constraint paired with “maintain aspect ratio” would achieve this.

6 Likes

Has this been solved yet?

I’ve tried to figure out a way to keep aspect ratios for icons/logos (i.e. vector objects) and have not figured out a way. Use case; I want a logo in the navbar to fill to the height of it and stretch/shrink the logo to to fit while keeping it’s aspect ratio, this would be within an auto layout frame.

Hi all,

Thanks for the post! If you feel it’s buggy, please reach out to our support team: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Please make sure you use the email associated with your Figma account, include links to the file in question, and share access with support-share@figma.com. Don’t worry, inviting us to view your file won’t impact your billing.

Thanks!