Figma keeps saying I'm Offline

Figma keeps saying I’m offline and that it’s not syncing any changes, even when I have very fast and consistent internet connection (Zoom, Slack, CreativeCloud all work fine). And what’s strange is that it’s only for one project at a time. I have four different projects open and the others are syncing fine. And it’s not always the same project that has trouble syncing. Last week it was a different one that wasn’t syncing. Figma is up-to-date as well.

I have had this issue for a week now and it’s incredibly frustrating. Any solutions?

10 Likes

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you’re seeing the issue. Could you please check if you can load the changes in another browser? Once you can check the file loads with all changes in the browser or saved a local copy, uploaded and checked it’s complete or copied and pasted the changes to a new file then you can clear your cache (let us know if you need directions for this). This should help with blocked connections on the Desktop app or a specific browser. If you see this in multiple apps/browsers, please don’t clear cache and instead use the (?) to contact our Support team.

The article “Can I work offline with Figma” explains how Figma saves changes made when you are offline.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Toku

1 Like

I’m having this problem, too. I tried opening the file in a different browser and some changes are showing but others are not. What’s especially weird is that some successfully saved changes were made after unsuccessful changes.

Example: I made a copy of a component and detached it. This change carried over to the other browser. I also inserted some images, some by copying and pasting and some by using the insert command. Those are not being saved, from either browser.

I checked with my manager about our license and nothing has been changed there. Other browser pages are opening without problems.

2 Likes

Following up: I thought I would just work on the desktop app in the meantime, but when I try to log in, I get sent back to the browser (expected) which then attempts to download … the login page? … which I can’t open without logging in. I am 100% blocked.

I’ve got a deadline. Moving to different software.

2 Likes

EDIT:
For anyone in a similar situation, we had to resolve this internally with security support personnel. Figma support team helped us confirm and clarify the issue.

In addition to requesting a log file they could review, here’s a redacted version of the support person’s comments:

The errors I’m seeing are indicative of some kind of VPN, firewall of proxy blocking some or all traffic between your system and Figma. [Ask IT admin to take relevant steps]

If there’s no network security in place, can you confirm if you’re seeing this on an alternate computer on the same network if you have one available, and on your usual computer but on an alternate network? This should help us pin down whether this is more likely to be a network or computer specific issue.

I am in a different city, trying from two different browsers, and am continuing to experience these issues. I thought the problem might be due to internet connectivity, but 1,000 miles and another internet provider has not changed things. I realize it’s a U.S. holiday, but it wasn’t when Michelle first raised the issue. Can we get some help, please?

1 Like

@Michelle_Sch, @Penina.
Did you manage to solve this problem?
I had the same problem yesterday, as soon as I try to do something in Figma, I immediately go offline.

I have the same issue. And the weird thing is that some documents do get updated and other no.

also having this issue here with random files insisting that I’m offline even though my internet connection is strong, but on top of this, other opened files within the Figma desktop app don’t experience the same issue.

1 Like

Also having the same issue but it’s not consistent across all my projects.

I have the same issue
my main working file is not saving and on the other hand, 5 other files are saved and synched properly. If the same file opened on the browser then, it does not show the changes …feeling stuck now :frowning:

This thread was incredibly useful to me. Ive had the same issue and I think its a memory problem and/or a location/VPN issue. My workplace uses a secure network and some systems use VPN, at home my internets so bad I often tether to my phone. Somewhere in that theres a problem.

I followed the above advice to ‘save as Fig’ to my local desktop and that in-itself fixed the issue for me. I opened a web browser version also and everything was there. I suspect that I had outdone Figma memory and I am a tab hoarder, I have 20 files open. Im now going to create a directory to remind me of whats in each file so I can close loads down (a gateway board in Miro with links). I suspect this will massively help.

Once your file is saved down you can also restart Figma with no fears of loosing the work, so Figma might need a restart. For me, merely saving a copy purged the memory for me. Hope this helps someone out there (and maybe Figma too with the context here).

2 Likes

I have the same issue. Working on my work remote VPN, all other open Figma files are syncing fine but one isn’t. Figma needs to sort this out!

1 Like

We experience this several times a day. It is getting frustrating.

We often experience situations where files take a really long time to open, with sometimes requiring a restart of Figma to get the files to open.

We also experience a no connection icon and the warning when we are ready to close a file. And similar to others that have reported this issue, some files will show no connection while others show as connected.

I have tried the suggestion of opening the same file in a browser, and this somehow fixes the connection issue, but this is a pain to have to do for each file that has a problem and having to do this several times a day.

On our side and what we have done to troubleshoot.

• We determined it is NOT a connection issue. We came to this conclusion because all other applications like, Zoom, Slack, web pages in Chrome, and all the other 20+ web-based apps never demonstrate any connection issues; only Figma.

• We have reached out to IT and found one potential cause. Our IT uses zScaler. I have limited knowledge of what zScaler is but what was explained to me is that we run all web traffic through zScaler as a security layer. IT has also shown us how we can temporarily turn it off when we are experiencing problems. Turning it off seems to help a little but not completely. We have also had IT create an exception for Figma traffic but we have yet to see any improvements. As a result it is difficult to determine is this a Figma issue (which it looks like due to the other post here) or a zScaler issue. Either way it is greatly interfering in our ability to work in Figma and/or to showcase our work from Figma.

Any help of feedback would be greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

Just commenting to say that I’m still having this issue. I do not use a VPN or firewall. It feels like every 5 or 10 minutes, I see an indicator that I am offline. However:

• Other files I have open do not think I’m offline
  • If I keep working anyway, the changes are there when I close and reopen the file (however I usually close and reopen anyway just in case.

This issue is eating into at least an hour a day from the number of times I have to stop, close, reopen, and find where I was again…since last location also seems to be broken.

2 Likes

Hey, Im having the same issues, that I cannot open Figma file/ move between pages on the Figma, cause it stated that I’m Offline, which is not accurate cause I’m login to all webapps and i have good internet connections.

@Support_Team can you please help us?

I also faced this problem. I need to

• Make a copy of all the designs,
  • Refresh the page, so I could become online again, and
  • I have to delete the old design and paste the new design.
    It is a pain in the neck.

No Support team! Ridiculous! They don’t have time for their users! What a great user experience!

I have the same issue, unfortunately, and have not been solved yet. :pensive:

We’ve noticed this happens when multiple people are working on the same file and editing local variables. We feel it may be related to Figma struggling to handle too many parallel updates, especially with variables.

1 Like

Same here! If I make a copy everything works.