Custom zoom level

Figma newbie here,

Say I’m designing an iPhone app, and I know that with my specific display, around 80% zoom level in Figma is the right size compared to the physical size of the phone. While working, I’ll zoom in and out without much care for exactness, but every now and then I’d like to jump to the precise value of 80% zoom to check the text sizes and whatnot.

The only way I know of doing this is clicking the zoom input in the top-right corner, typing in 80 and then Return. Not exactly terrible, but still annoying if repeated dozens or hundreds of times a day.

Is there a way to create a shortcut for custom zoom levels? If not, any other alternatives?

6 Likes

This is not possible but you may be able to find some plugins that let you return to specific saved views.

I have a related wish, to reduce or adjust the zoom increments, because the zoom jumps from 50% to 100% when all I need is just a small increment, like ±5% or so.

Zoom increments are simply too huge which forces me to write by hand the zoom value instead of using the keyboard shortcut.

5 Likes

Two years later and this feature is still not added to Figma. We need to be able to adjust the increments between zoom level! I am constantly having to type in 80% because 50% and 100% are just two extremes that are not catered to most of the preset artboard/frame pixel ratios.

The only solution I found is this:

On an Apple Magic Mouse:

• Hold down ⌘ Command (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows) and scroll up and down
• Double-tap with one finger to zoom in and back out

On another type of mouse:

• Hold down ⌘ Command (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows) and scroll the mouse wheel up to zoom in or down to zoom out.

1 Like

I have served for many Japanese clients with 1440px size, but a big part of them like to use 7’ ,10’ and 12’ notebook with 1280px or 1366px, so they want to zoom the preview picture by themself to fit their pc or Zoom in on the area they need to see. so eager to customize the zoom percentage of the preview pic.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Add a setting within the preferences to configure the zoom increment. Currently, the zoom increment doubles it’s previous value (e.g., 25%, 50%, 100%, 200%, etc) which is too large of a jump at times. I want to decrease the increment value to something more subtle.

The same idea was mentioned here: https://twitter.com/figma/status/1533878066795143175

This would help a lot!

3rd this. This is a significant inconvenience when designing for web development on a laptop. This is because one requires ~75% screen zoom to view the full width of the design to account for toolbars. Meanwhile, the defaults are 50-100%.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this workaround, @Maya_Voss2!

We’ve updated this topic to a feature request and merged a couple of other existing, but closed threads so we can continue to gauge interest from the community. Be sure to Vote! :point_up:

3 Likes

For the love of Zeus, give us custom zoom settings. 50, 100, 200 is a ridiculous order. 50, 75, 100, 150 is reasonable.

2 Likes

This is a must have feature. All productive work depends a lot off 2 or 3 levels of zoom. Having at least two custom ones is essential.

MAYBE SOLUTION:

SHIFT+Z is the same as just Z. So, why not allow to customize SHIFT+Z to a prefered percentage? Or even Z if window zoom is generally less used.

And, since it’s so used and constantly changed, SHIFT+ALT+Z could pop up a window to define the new custom zoom level.

Lets hope it gets to Figma soon.

Thanks

(&thanks @dvaliao for reinforcing this one)

1 Like