Create Folders/Categories/Tags for files

Just want to add I have this same problem as a solo freelancer. Sorting between different personal projects, experiments, templates, mockups, and archives of old work. Some need to be accessed daily while others are very infrequent. None need to be shared so they should be in Drafts but there is no structure there

2 Likes

Folders would be super helpful to manipulate files and help designers collaborate. It would be the best if Folders can be prioritized, Categories and Tags can come along later

2 Likes

Hi Figma Community ;D

I would like to know your opinion on this idea. I really like Figma and I have this idea. I use Figma and I believe this idea can help Figma users.

Feature name

Tags in Figma

Feature Description

1. I would like to add tags to my Figma projects, there are many projects I create in Figma.
  2. If I could add tags, it would be easy to search for these projects in Figma.
  3. I think Figma is the best software out there for creating graphical interfaces. My need would be to have a tag system similar to Evernote.
  4. I’m not promoting Evernote, I’m just referring to Evernote in terms of the tag system. That is, it would be pretty cool if you opt for a tag system like Evernote in Figma.

Who would be interested in this?

Beginners users, end users, designers that uses Figma or Figma community.

Why does it matter?

1. A tag system allows for better organization of 1 or more projects.
  2. It is something that serves for you to highlight projects or projects.
  3. Tag system are used for various purposes:
  • In Twitter a tag refers to a subject that everyone is talking about.
  • In Evernote a tag system is used to highlight notes that you want to remember or organize.

Notes

1. The cases I mentioned about using tags in Evernote and Twitter - can be applied in Figma.
  2. You can highlight projects you’ve created in Figma with tags, as well as organize projects you’ve created with tags as well.
  3. I talked about Twitter as a use case, I’m not here to promote Twitter.
  4. I don’t have access to Figma’s source code. So, I made the post here as feedback in case you guys have time to implement or can implement (team Figma).
  5. From what I’ve researched here is the official figma community. So I thought it was interesting to talk about it here.
  6. If anyone can read and comment, I’d be happy for the feedback.

my ui/ux

What kind of responses do you want?

It would be for feedback, it would be for implementation.

use case

1. If the user clicks on the confirm button, the tags are associated with the project.
  2. If the user clicks on close on the tag confirmation screen, the tags are not associated with the project.

user stories

1. I as a user would like to organize my projects with a tag system.
  2. As a user I have many projects and I would like to organize them with a tag system.
  3. As a user, I see a lot of software that uses tag system to organize like Evernote, Twitter. As a user I would like to have a similar tag system to organize my projects in Figma.
1 Like

Does your reply improve the conversation?

Market ideas, my purpose with the tag idea:
  • The use of tags may be limited in the initial plan. Evernote limits 100,000 tags for notes. We can limit the starter plan to 100,000 tags per file or team.
  • Unlimited tag usage can only be on professional, organization or enterprise plan.

other idea - evernote tag search system for figma

1. intitle:design searches for files whose title contains “design”.
  2. team:design will only search for files within the ‘Design’ team.
  3. stack:Design will only search for files within the ‘Design’ team stack.
  4. any: design frontend will return all files containing either “design” or “frontend” (removing this operator would return only files containing “design” and “frontend”).
  5. tag:design will return files that have the tag “design”.
  6. created:day-2 will return files that were created in the last two days.
  7. updated:day-2 will return files that have been updated in the last two days.
  8. type:application/jpeg will return all files that contain a jpeg file.
  9. type:application/png will return all files that contain a png file.
  10. type:application/jpg will return all files that contain a jpg file.
  11. type:application/svg will return all files that contain a svg file.
  12. contains:png will return all files containing a png.
  13. contains:img will return all files containing a png, jpeg, jpg or svg.
  14. contains:comments will return all files containing a comments in projects.
  15. contains:username will return all files containing a username in projects.
  16. contains:datetime will return all files containing a datetime - (dd/mm/yyyy).
reference

Notes

I hope to help everyone ;D

1 Like

This would be extremely useful for the issue we are currently facing in our organization. We want to create groups of files, like “Source Files,” “Design System Files,” and “Initiatives” within each project. We are exploring the workaround of moving everything up in hierarchy by moving projects to the team level, but this makes naming conventions a lot more difficult. It would require us to copy and paste the team name on each file to keep the file path understandable. Would love folders to fix this issue…

1 Like

An interesting idea that can help the Figma community.

mockup

image description

1. The project tab is responsible for attaching tags from different pages and also presenting comment notes for design.
  2. I tried doing something similar with Evernote in Figma. In short, I created a sidebar with a tab called project that contains tags and comment notes.

Note

I hope to help everyone ;D

Tag-based workflow with colors

Tags: #Design approved, #design failed, #redesign

Notes

1. Based on the tags the horizontal line of the page where the designer is, shows whether the work should be redone or not.
  2. The blue color says the work needs to be re-evaluated by the designer or team - #redesign
  3. The red color says that there is something that needs improvement - #Design failed
  4. The green color says that everything that was done was a success, that is, it was approved. sample: #Design approved
  5. Colors are based on tags
  6. The image exemplifies this idea.
  7. This idea exemplifies the use of e tags as cores for a better design workflow
  8. It can help in these areas: “Roadmap”, “Card Sorting”, “Eyetracking” - not sure this can help these areas so quotes - my goal with this idea is to help, but if i can’t help i apologize, i was wrong
references
1 Like

Reading through more of these posts makes me realize that in addition to nested tags being most useful for file organization—they could also be useful for tagging frames and pages inside of files.

Those tags would of course show up in the file’s full list but tags placed so precisely could make searches results and smart folders much richer. :grinning:

2 Likes

You managed to sum it all up in a few words. I said so much… I mean you managed to sum up everything I thought. I found your comment very interesting

Voted. Our organization is growing, and the project folder structure is a little too restricted for us. We want to organize our Org folder with several teams, and teams can have their sub-pillar projects. Can we create at least one more subfolder feature?

Voted for folders. Everything in one junk drawer model does not work for big projects for obvious reasons.

How much more is it going to cost us for folders? Are we going to be charged per folder or per who we share a folder with?
So many ways to monetization to consider…

I wish I knew whether or not Figma was looking into this, because people like Sarina are creating these wild and completely unnecessary hacks just to solve for something Figma should’ve let us do since the beginning. The workarounds we’re making for this take a lot of time and planning, and if we knew a fix was on the horizon that would change the way a lot of us look at it.

6 Likes

Does Figma include this feature in their roadmap now ?