Create Folders/Categories/Tags for files

Organization would be immensely helpful if we could create folders for our drafts. I want to be able to organize my drafts into different categories (such as UI kits, Ideas, Wireframe kits, iOS, Android, etc…) so I can find files easily. Right now, the drafts page is a huge jumbled mess and I can’t create Team pages for everything.

Maybe something as simple as being able to add ‘tags’ to each file, similar to Zeplin.

258 Likes

You can create a bunch of free Starter teams and projects in them (projects are like folders for files). Each free team can have up to 3 projects and you can be a member of 100 teams at most, so there is plenty of room for sorting your files. Personally, I have three teams with 2-3 projects in each of them.

UPDATE: This is not going to be possible from April 21, 2021

2 Likes

@Gleb Yeah, that’s a hack, but not very efficient. I want to be able to put my files into more substantiative categories such as UI Kits, iOS, Android, etc… Creating separate Teams and only being able to import 3 projects would be pointless. I don’t need any fancy Team features, which is why I think something like the tags idea would work well.

32 Likes

That’s exactly what teams and projects allow you to do. To clarify, a Project is not a File. You can import any amount of files into a Project. Project is like a folder for files, so you can create a team with three projects: UI Kits, iOS, and Android and put all your files into these categories. Also with Starter teams you are not getting any fancy team features.

5 Likes

Hey @Aalok_Trivedi , as gleb said projects are the solution to your needs.

14 Likes

I have multiple project as I am sure everyone else does. Is there a way to create folders and organize projects ? :point_down:

The same way Microsoft OneDrive lets you move around/create folders. It would be nice to have projects organized in a single folder.

25 Likes

There is no way to organize projects. You can only create more teams and organize them this way. It would help if you would explain why you want to organize projects. What structure do you imagine for them? How many projects and files within them do you have? Please try to roughly address the points in the product idea template when creating a new feature suggestion:

1. Describe the problem your experiencing and how your idea helps solve this
  2. Add as much context as possible (screenshots, Figma files, mockups, etc.)
  3. Ask questions to bring the community into the conversation (e.g. Does anyone else experience this? Is anyone using a plugin or workaround to help solve this?, etc.)
1 Like

@Gleb I would like to keep my projects to be organized rather than showing all of them on a list. The same way Microsoft OneDrive lets you move around/create folders.

I don’t think it would make sense for me to purchase another Team plan just to organize my files. I am already part of 2 teams.

Thank you :smiley:

23 Likes

I’d be much happier by organizing files with nested tags. Folders are very 1958.

25 Likes

This is one of the most important pain points for me. Altough, I would put in in a different level.

Team > Projects > Folders > Files

Why do you ask? When I worked in Sketch, I would organize my files based on releases. Each funtionality or idea would have its own file, in that file pages would be for different devices. And each realease would have it’s folder within a project. This is crucial to good organization and overview of project files.

Please, add folders. I’d rather have folders than tags, because folders hide the complexity. It’s much easier to look at a few folders than hundreds of files.

49 Likes

The Org > Team > Project structure has become a little too constraining as the number of teams in our organization has grown. In our organization we have multiple teams grouped by product. It would be very useful to associate groups of teams either through an additional organization layer or by tags that can be applied to teams.

23 Likes

One use-case for organizing with tags is for production status of files. As you can see we have a manual work-around for this using label components within thumbnail frames. This gives our developers a bird’s eye view, but… well it’s a very manual work-around and obviously cannot be sorted/filtered which is where the real gain to using a tag system would come in. The great part is that it’s quite agnostic— teams can create tags to suit their own workflows or organizational standards.

I don’t see how creating more teams and projects resolves this particular use-case?

18 Likes

As mentioned above, nested tags or even just tags are the way to go vs folders. A file can only sit in one folder/project but with tags, the same file could belong to any number of structures for organizing.

11 Likes

@Hossein_Boroji Now it will not be so convenient to organize the space with the help of teams.

5 Likes

I wish we could organize it easily

4 Likes

Voted! I really need this feature now since Figma announced the new Starter Plan…

4 Likes

The simplest solution would be to allow project/file organization under Drafts the same as a Team. This would basically mean that Drafts would function as a solo member team while the paid accounts would have access to collaborative teams.

7 Likes

There absolutely needs to be a way to organise files in Drafts. I wish to group similar files together to find them easier and to tidy up the sprawling mess.
The workaround to create projects does not work in an enterprise environment with teams, because generally new projects can not be created as you wish by all employees. In a collaborative environment this also negates the fundamental point of drafts - they are private.
Folders would be absolutely fine. They are not ‘1958’, they are a universally understood concept that works fine for most situations. Tags could also work, but for me one goal is to get rid of the visual clutter of loads of files dumped in the Drafts space, which tags would probably not achieve. @Slavo made the same point.

14 Likes

It remembers me the same incomprehensible lack inside Invision…
now they are dead.
ok ok ok … bad ux designer joke — sorry

4 Likes

This feature will help to stay way more organized. Im surprised why such a simple thing is not already included in Figma… project management is defiantly a must

7 Likes