Can you fix superscript?

It seems like it only works for some fonts (even when the font does support superscripts).

6 Likes

Hey, @Jeremy_Geltman if you’re experiencing a bug with a specific font I would reach out directly to support.
Otherwise, there’s this thread here: Faux superscript support

Doesn’t work for me. Still can’t superscript numbers :frowning:

1 Like

I have problems with superscript. It tried with a few fonts and it doesn’t work with any. How to fix it please ?

1 Like

Hi @Julie6, some fonts don’t contain superscript glyphs, so this feature cannot be used in Figma. You can see all the glyphs of the font, for example, on the MyFonts website or others, or in a font viewer application.

@tank666 I think there’s a bug in Figma, because the fonts I tried do contain superscript glyphs. What strange is that it’s only happening on certain fonts and not others (all containing the superscript glyphs).

2 Likes

Could you write the names of some of the fonts?

Arial for example, or Helvetica

While these fonts do contain superscript glyphs, Figma uses OpenType flags for superscript and doesn’t change the glyphs. These flags are not present in many fonts.

1 Like

I once accidentally superscripted my Helvetica Neue but have not been able to reproduce it. I’ve also tried pasting into another text block but it didn’t take. Buggy feature for sure. I can’t find any font it works with.

It works with Montserrat for example. You can copy-paste these unicode glyphs ¹²³⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹⁰ as they are supported by many fonts, unlike the OpenType feature which Figma uses.

1 Like

Having superscript support is critical for somebody like me who works in life sciences and needs to design for references, and it’s frankly kind of a dealbreaker in terms of getting our agency to adopt Figma. What’s also frustrating is that, even for a font that does support superscript, it only seems to work for numbers. Sometimes we have multiple references separated by commas or dashes, and as far as I can tell, it’s impossible to put these characters in a superscript in Figma.

4 Likes

Hello, is there any update on this? We use superscripting quite often and this is a huge pain with Figma currently.

2 Likes

This (pasting and editing: ¹²³⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹⁰) worked for me. Big thanks! I was searching for a solution for days.

1 Like

it work on number but it is not working for text, e.g. 5th, TM, R etc. Do you have idea how it work for text.

Can we get an update on this issue and an ETA for the resolution? Most of us adhere to some form of brand standards and cannot simply use a different font. Superscript needs to work, no excuses.

Agree with what everyone is saying here. Our client keeps commenting on the ® having to be in superscript in our designs, and it’s embarrassing having to reiterate in every meeting that this is something we’re trying to resolve. They’re used to working in word, pptx etc. and expect this to be a given.

Please fix this functionality to work across all fonts.

6 Likes

+1 for this – this has been an ongoing and time-consuming issue for my financial client work. I found some workaround for numbers and symbols but for superscripting letters with numbers like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc I can’t find any workarounds. Please fix ASAP

What is the status on this. It’s preventing us to switch over the figma.

1 Like

Looks like superscript only works with OTF fonts.