Auto-Layout -> Make a Grid

I love the Auto-layout feature but is a pity that I need to choose between horizontal or vertical. Why not both?

My suggestion is an option inside Auto-Layout called Grid that would allow me to choose the amount of columns and rows and create a grid using a smart layout.

17 Likes

That would be a nice feature. However, i’d say there should be auto rows and columns, so they are not fixed. see: css grids

7 Likes

Having CSS Grid would be amazing :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

They have this in XD, and it’s great. I switched from XD to Figma, and overall, Figma is better. But I do miss that feature (and being able to move layers inside instances)

4 Likes

Here is Webflow Grid UI for inspiration:
image 3

6 Likes

Having grids would be amazing.

1 Like

I’d really love to see this, it would help a lot with layer hygiene. It also aligns closer with the way things are actually built in code, as elements in html and flex box are able to wrap.

1 Like

If there is a beta or even an alpha, I’ll be happy to join in to test!

1 Like

Yes, a grid option would be fantastic for autolayout!

I would love this for the simple reason of making component sets more manageable. Adding variants after the fact is a PITA when you have to resize the border all the time. It would be soooooo convenient if the component set could expand/shrink dynamically.

1 Like

Dear Figma-Devs, please do this! Kind regards

1 Like

Fully support this feature, I miss it so much when preparing the landing pages.

1 Like

Figma should mimic both CSS grids and Flexbox properties exactly the way that HTML does, at that point it’s going to be a major step forward in filling in the gap between design and development. Webflow, as someone mentioned, is a perfect example of how feasable that can be.

1 Like

+1
This would simplify a lot of the hierarchical boilerplate needed to simulate this with auto-layout (flexbox)

honestly kinda sad that XD had this since really early versions

Absolutely. We need equivalent behaviour to CSS Grid and Flexbox in Figma (including subgrid).

2 Likes