Allow modifying "Decoration" to the text styles already defined

…guys, please? Also dyin’ for this.

2 Likes

I was baffled that this does not work either!

3 Likes

I swear this idea was implemented in a few versions of Figma, but it appears it’s broken again now?

It means I can’t use a single text style for a DS component when applying a hover interaction.

Here’s a GIF example, I don’t want the text style to revert to the (broken) text style I want the hover state to hold the new font, the interaction should just apple a decoration over my overridden text style.
Broken underline style

It’s really a bummer that we have to create multiple text styles just to account for that. I am really tired of that. Being able to apply an underline and subscript for CO2 are such — B A S I C — use cases.

2 Likes

This feature would DRAMATICALLY reduce the text style definitions in our design system. Right now there are styles defined for body, header, each at 3 different weights, and each weight requires three more styles for regular, italic, and underline. It would be so, so much cleaner–not to mention easier to use–if italic/underline/strikethrough could be turned on for a style without breaking the link to the base style.

5 Likes

+1 to allow modifying like “Decoration” to text styles already defined. I was about to start a new suggestion about this very thing, but did a quick search and found 121 votes for it already! Adding mine for 122!

Screenshot attached to show I need to break my style just to get a strikethru text

1 Like

Also voting for this, I find it almost absurd that this is not possible already. It really slows down the work and clutters styles list.

3 Likes

Came here to suggest the same thing. My use case is that I’m simply trying to make our links have black text with red underlines. I’d love to be able to control the colour of text underlines.

2 Likes

Yes, please! I’m coming over from InDesign learning Figma and it’s absurd to me that this isn’t a capability. Seems like a basic override, which would be so helpful.

1 Like

Same need here for underline - links !

3 Likes

:heavy_plus_sign: 1 for this feature. Breaking inside a design system is a pain when we release any font updates.

1 Like

yes, please!

1 Like

+1. Let us style “underlines” like we would in CSS (e.g. different color than text etc.) and override styles to accommodate “decoration.”

2 Likes

+1 from me as well. May be introduced as a property-like-thing on text-styles.

2 Likes

+1 struggle is real! :wink:

1 Like

+1! Being able to apply maintainable text style overrides would really help keep the integrity of our design system. In addition to underlines, being able to override font weights / styles (for mid-sentence emphasis text) in the same manner would be particularly powerful.

3 Likes

Hey !

Don’t know if anyone is still trying to find a solution. But I may have a workaround. Maybe someone already find it… but just in case, here it is.

For example, if you wanna add an underline to a text on hover without detaching the text styles ; you can put the text into an auto layout frame and add a border bottom to your new created frame.

Hope it helps somebody :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This feature would make our developer team very happy! To keep our text styles neat we do not want to create a separate style for every main style just to get underline or italics…

1 Like

Needing this solution! Our text styles are used for a variety of things. The same style used for a paragraph on desktop might need less line spacing on mobile.
It’s driving me crazy that I can’t just simply adjust some of these things. Why would the case or alignment be an option to customize, but not the line height or any of the other common text customizations?

1 Like

How is it 2023 and they still have not released an update for this??

2 Likes