Adding a Status to Pages and Frames

1. If you work on a lot of designs, the amounts of concepts will grow rapidly. Each concept goes in a page within a page I have heaps of screens. Some dialogs of screens are completely finished, some are still work in progress and some are concepts.

2. I’ve been using Icons to give some sort of status to my pages. Let’s say, my design is finished I will give it a checkbox → See image. I also use empty pages to make some sort of subdivision in my pages.
    Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 10.11.10
    This system works wel with pages, and also works well with frames like here:
    Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 10.19.00

I used a legend to document this. Very easy…
Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 10.18.31

1. Does anyone else use this as well for their designs and concepts? I find it’s a good way to give our developers better insight if the page or frame is ready for development or not. It wouldn’t be the first time that a design is developed, without being completely finished. :smiley:

But I think would be really cool that this was a feature, where you configure some statuses for your entire team and they can use it accordingly. This could save a lot of time.

3 Likes

There are a lot of plugins that do the same. Just search for frame status, or status annotation in the community.

When working collaboratively with designers, product owners and clients, it is important for everyone to be aware of the current state of the project, down to a screen or sometimes even component level.

For Design reviewers and project leads, often times we don’t know when certain screens are “To Do”, “In progress” or “Ready for review”, “Blocked”, “Completed” or “Approved”. Similar to what you would see in a Kanban board.

I’ve seen what you have done with the FigJam Stickers tool. I believe that a similar tool would be useful to have in Figma. Where you could apply a sticker, or better, a status to individual screens, so that people are aware of their current state.

How are other design teams solving this issue at the moment?

I’ve used a few plugins and allow this kind of functionality, but they don’t offer the kind of flexibility or easy updating that I think is necessary for this type of tool.

2 Likes
  1. Design management projects today are discussed via 3rd party ways (Asana, Monday, Phone, whatsApp, slack, emails…).
    Small comments are great for small fixes.
    Project management is great for huge projects.
    But, what’s in between? How do we have the best clarity about the progress of each screen? Which screen is in which step? Is it finished? Are there bottlenecks? Who’s responsible for what is being done right now? and who has to approve this? Key words are: Statuses & assignees. I took the inspiration from “Pitch” (which have made amazing product).

2. Examples:
    BTW pitch also talk:

1. Dear community, your thoughts? Let’s make Figma Management on steroids!
2 Likes

Yes, I would love to have the ability to easily add statuses on frames and pages directly within Figma. Would maybe work well to have available in the Comment Mode.

2 Likes

I am looking for similar functionality. Currently, it is handled manually (using SOP) but if you want to have peace of mind, having this functionality built-in will be great. It would be awesome if you can apply additional action along with status change, such as locking the design file (or pages/frame if possible) after getting approval.

2 Likes

+1, would be a really nice feature for development handovers etc. and keep the whole team in sycn

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

We’ll pass this onto our team for consideration.