Figma Support Forum

Add Support for Variable Fonts

Variable fonts have become usual stuff for web developing now, but Figma doesn’t support them yet.

Because of this I can’t use variable versions of popular fonts so devs implement it in code. It limits me by a lot, especially because some of the most widely used fonts (Inter, Manrope, TT Norms and even Whyte, Figma’s brand font) have variable versions.

If you have something to add, feel free to do it below👇🏼

21 Likes

The problem appeared once moving quite big project from Sketch to Figma, and suddenly our team is in a situation where we are forced to redesign the app for TTF and leave Variable Font behind. Long story short, product is positioned as Sketch killer, so importing on such a core level should be maintained and not impact the flow.

Variable Fonts are getting hotter and hotter. Figma as innovative software should jump on the hype train and implement the support, like it’s biggest competitor did back in October 2019. Our organization was surprised that it’s not supported already.

4 Likes

So much needed support.

4 Likes

yes! I was so surprised it didn’t work. Even adobe has managed to include it to some of their software.

3 Likes

This is much needed. Was baffled when I couldn’t use variable typeface.

1 Like

Much needed feature. Do we have any workaround till now?

This is a critical feature nowadays. Please Figma, don’t fall behind.

1 Like

Figma is such in advance on so many aspects that I am highly surprise that this core feature is still not implemented! :sweat_smile:

Because yes… It is needed!

+1

1 Like

+1. This was a feature request on Github for over 2 years and it suddenly got closed 3 hours ago (without a remark). Was opening Figma right away because I thought they FINALLY added it, but I don’t see it?

1 Like

This would be a perfect timing for us as we are working on a complex design system for a client what would greatly benefit from that feature

Looks to me like the github issue wasn’t closed direcly, but as a side effect of that whole repo being archived (made read only)

Hope ti will be available soon!

1 Like