Add support for telephone number links

I have found out that figma allows you to add links to text in the form of “mailto:example@example.com”, which allows to add a link to email addresses. However, when I try to input a link in the form of “tel:1234567890” it fails and the “Invalid link” notification comes up. I believe that this is not the indeded behaviour of the feature and it should allow users to input any kind of urls, not just web and email urls.

25 Likes

Hard agree. For now though does anybody know of a plugin that can do this?

2 Likes

Come across the same issue and was hoping there’d be a simple solution… I’m formatting a CV in Figma (might be an usual choice I know, but want to practise using it!)

Managed to link the email easily with the standard ‘mailto:’ why won’t ‘tel:’ work?!

3 Likes

One can easily add links to web pages in text fields and they even export correctly to pdf (which is great). However, many of the Figma files I make to export to PDF include phone and text numbers. I would like to make these clickable links much like they are on webpages.

Currently in Figma, When I enter “tel:” or “sms:” as the protocol, it shows the message “Invalid link”. A lot of these PDFs are sent via email and are opened on mobile phones/Macs so it is a common practice for me to make phone numbers clickable.

Right now I have to use Acrobat :nauseated_face: to linkify the phone numbers, and the way Figma currently exports PDFs is not very Acrobat edit friendly.

It would be a great addition to Figma to allow using protocols in URLs other than just “http:”/“https:”/“mailto:”. And, though I might not a use them atm, I can see others wanting to use custom, specific protocols for apps.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Same request.
That feature is really missing.

7 Likes

+1
…just wasted a good 20 minutes trying to figure out how to set up a link to no avail when I finally notices the error message that shows at the bottom of my screen for a split second “invalid link” … more like “unsupported link” because it’s just as valid as mailto: and is very missing. Please support this protocol.

4 Likes

+1, really missing the support for tel links

2 Likes

I’m preparing a PDF CV in Figma and I want to put an active link with my phone number as a contact method. After some tinkering I’ve found a workaround described below.

Where +XXXXXXXXXXX is the phone number:

1. Create a mailto:+XXXXXXXXXXX@tel link instead of a tel:+XXXXXXXXXXX link
  2. Once finished, export and save the PDF file
  3. Open the file in a hex editor
  4. Search for XXXXXXXXXXX and find a line like /URI (mailto\072\0537XXXXXXXXXXX\100tel)
  5. In that line, remove \100tel and replace mailto with tel
  6. Save the edited file
  7. Open it on a smartphone and tap the link to test it
8 Likes

keep commenting until it’s a feature :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Our team is literally just meeting now and discussing the need for tel link feature… sorely needed! Cmon let’s do it!

2 Likes

I’m also interested in this.

1 Like

I’ll also add that there is a bomb plugin called Emailify which revolutionizes the way emails are created, and this is a huge fail to not support tel links…

Honestly yes, I just discovered that you can’t do this on Figma and I missed it so much. Definitely, something interesting and useful to add on.

Yes, please. +1

just do it

we would need this feature as well to insert tel: Links

Will also really need it too :slightly_smiling_face:

Desperately hoping for this feature too!