A setting to make new layers go downwards

Hello, I really would love a setting that would make the new layers, freshly duplicated layers, etc, appear downwards - on the bottom of the list if nothing is selected or underneath the currently selected layer. In other words, to change the general direction of layer stacking - to go from top to bottom, instead of bottom to top only, as of now.

This is very logical, isn’t it? We create pages in figma and they go from top to bottom, most designs are created from top to bottom, most content flows from top to bottom. Then why do layers go freaking upwards? :smile:

19 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I moved it to the product feedback category so you and others can vote and add additional context.

3 Likes

Hello. I would like to support topic starter and confirm that I have to manually move duplicated layers to the top every time a new duplicate is created. Figma is almost 100% perfect tool in its niche but the new-at-the-top schema is simply totally user unfriendly. I really do not know any other app which has layers that would put new layers at the top…

4 Likes

@Josh What’s the status of this? This would be my number one request in terms of saving time and effort in reordering layers. An option in Settings to choose “Duplicate Layer Down” would be a massive efficiency improvement to my workflow :pray:

2 Likes

Please make this happen. It’s one of the most frustrating issues I have with figma.

@Josh any updates on this? I thought this would have already been existing in Figma but it isn’t. Like to know the update on this.

This has to be my biggest issue with using Figma. Why not have the new layer you just created appear sequentially above the last layer you have created. or at least in the same art board or folder? Makes no sense sending it all the way to top, not intuitive at all.

1 Like

This is also one of my biggest annoyances, as someone who tries to keep their layers organized this single feature would save a lot of time spent re-organizing things!

3 Likes

I have to agree here. It drives me crazy. The opposite is logical.

Any update on this?

yes please do this

Hi, has this been changed? In the month I’ve used Figma, I’m overall very happy with it, except for this one quirk. It’s not intuitive and wastes time.