What font is System Font?

Hi everyone!

Figma has added the awesome “System font” that’s dynamic. Now it’s very tempting to use it in projects, but then we ran into problem of not being able to use it, since it’s impossible to google (due to the generic name) and how does one embed it on the web , mobile etc ?

I would appreciate any information on this font. How does one find it? Who made It? How to use it??

Thank you!

2 Likes

I will admit I am not aware of this feature in Figma specifically, but I Googled it and found this page.

It backs up my thought that it is referring to the default font in use by the computer viewing the file. This is how we have one of our products set.

The current system fonts are San Francisco Pro Text for Mac and Segoe UI for Windows - those would be for the current and most recent operating systems.

That is the font which anything in an application set to use System Font will use. It’s what the OS dialog boxes and file browser and such use. It is possible for a user to go in and change it to something else, but I don’t think many do.

From Apple:
“SF Pro is the system font in iOS, macOS, and tvOS; SF Compact is the system font in watchOS. Designed to match the visual clarity of the platform UIs, the system fonts are legible and neutral.”
That’s from this page.

Just now when I tried to find a similar page for Windows, I was met with a whole pile of results telling people how to change their system default font. I did not get that for Mac. This leads me to believe it’s a desirable thing, to customize your font on a PC, and so you’ll have to keep in mind that while you may be imagining the person is viewing your document with Segoe UI, they may have instead set their default font to Hobo.

I hope this helps!

1 Like