Versioning Figma Libraries

I’m currently trying to architect an approach on the best way to set up and maintain libraries.

Current Structure:

• A single file for styles: DS Styles
  • A few designers
  • Rest of the population are viewers
  • Updates are made to the live DS Styles file
  • Version History has milestones set for tacking

What I think would work better is to leverage the recommended use of Version History (Figma’s Recommendations) but I’m concerned with a few items.

If we make milestones and duplicate each of the milestones - we’ll have individual files, each with its own library. I see this becoming a lot to manage and confusing for users.

Is there a better to separate out WIP & Live files for libraries or to have Versions of Libraries?

2 Likes

Its been like 3 years but I just found this topic. Did you ever find a solution? I’m struggling myself with figuring out how to deal with the library setup. We are building components from scratch, and have no existing established design system. I have a wip file for the library, and another one for handoff to dev. Designers need to consume from the wip library because we cant wait for something to be developed before using it. And we need to test these components through usage anyway. The thing is, what should happen when a component is ready for dev? Do I duplicate it over to the other file? Should people use that one? Do I have to replicate all my edits in both files every time? Should designers just not use the dev one? Man I’m so lost

Hi there,

Thank you for bringing up this topic.

One possible solution could be to separate files. Alternatively, you might want to consider using branching if you are on the Organization and Enterprise plans. Here are a couple of resources that might help:

Unfortunately, there’s no single “best” solution, but I hope you’ll find a method that works well for your organization. I also encourage other community members to share their tips!

Thanks,
Toku