Persistent color picker (when unpinned from right panel)

There have been many times where I’m trying to compare the color values between two or more objects. However, every time I select another object the color panel disappears so I have to click on the swatch again and try to remember the values from the previous object. Sometimes I’ll just take a screenshot of the color picker values and paste them back into Figma but that’s not fun at all.

One possible solution would be to make the color picker remain visible if the user ‘unpins’ it (ie. drags it away from the right panel). Then they could select the next object to see the color values and then close the picker when they’re done.

14 Likes

I guess you could do ⌃C (color picker) and hover through each element you want to compare, I find this to be the fastest way.

5 Likes

Wow, I can’t believe I didn’t notice the color values in the magnification view when using the ⌃C (color picker) and I use that all the time. Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll definitely be using that for comparing values.

I still think the persistent picker is still valuable so you can select an object, adjust the color, then select the next object and adjust, etc.

3 Likes

Yep, I think that still would be valuable. Not just for comparing colors, but for picking colors for multiple objects, for example. When you are in search of that perfect color combination, you would switch a lot between objects and opening the color menu every time isn’t nice.

7 Likes

Please, please build this soon. Developing color palettes is very tedious when I have to open three menus to adjust a style. Every time I check color contrast, the menu goes away and I have to start all over. Or, at least add a keyboard shortcut to open the color menu? It is fiddly to have to click, hover, and click again on these small targets. Screen Recording 2021-03-15...

12 Likes

I really miss it when comparing colors. I’ll choose one to check its hue, then another to compare it, then the color picker automatically hides when changing layers. A workaround is to select multiple and click the different “Selection colors” list, but this is too time-consuming and sometimes cumbersome, especially when comparing more than two or three colors.

4 Likes

After selecting the color in the shape state and switching to the font, the color palette will disappear. You need to click the color palette again, and the experience is not very good

3 Likes

In general, Figma’s workflow involves too many clicks, which is literally a physical pain point for those of us with carpal tunnel neuropathy—it’s getting to be a blocker. Having the color palette go away with each selection gets to be too much work. It’s even more steps when dealing with styles.

While we are at it, and in the same vein, it would be a life changer to display color using my last-used color system. Thank you.

3 Likes

This behaviour shouldn’t just apply to the color palette. There’s no reason all palettes shouldn’t remain open after detaching them.

I want to detach the palettes so they’re more convenient to access. What’s the point of detaching it from the sidebar if it’s going to disappear the moment I select something else?

3 Likes

@Christopher_Coleman I completely agree. That makes total sense to make them all function the same.

3 Likes

Came here to say I would love this too! I’ve been creating a palette and it’s very tedious to keep opening the picker. I actually expected detaching it would keep it open like a plugin and was surprised when it closed.

3 Likes

Sometimes it is frustrating make some bad workflows in Figma, it is great the bigger releases, but there is a lot of serious workflows and usability issues.

I think plugins shouldn’t be used as crutches to those issues.

Look at the work that is needed to change a color within a style, and after editing these you have to do it all over again, there should be at least shortcuts as a palliative.

4 Likes

Just adding a vote to have the color picker persistently stay open, or have a user preference for the behavior.

3 Likes

+1 to a persistent color picker. it is a pain to click multiple times just to see the HSB values.

3 Likes

Would be very useful yes,… I need this too

2 Likes

It’s been a couple years now so I’m not sure this is going to happen. I know it would be great to have it as a native feature but at this point maybe someone will create a plugin. I’ve come across one that’s specific to HSL but I like using HSB so something that allows a user to choose would be nice.

1 Like

+1 on this idea.
It is still accurate, and even more know that we have the Style Picker persistent as we wish with the Color Picker.

2 Likes

+1 This would make working with colours a lot easier.

2 Likes

I would like this as well but also with the type styles palette. Super annoying to ahve to scroll through my styles every time. I don’t see why you cant just keep them open or select the size you want an leave it that way. Possibly the only thing I’d like to see come over from adobe products other than the pen tool from illustrator.

2 Likes

Working on a color palette and it’s so tedious and hard to compare color values without this option. Has anyone come across a plugin for this? I found this but it doesn’t update the color when I select an item: Better Color Picker | Figma Community

1 Like