Now that auto layout improvements and Variants have landed, my pages have more and more nested components. One common friction point I run into is the following:
- Pull a component out the library
- Set up overrides on a nested component, e.g. a button’s label or icon
- Decide I don’t want that button to go there, or I want to use a different component
- Set up the same overrides on a different button.
What I’d like to have is some kind of “paste overrides” functionality, or maybe a “replace with component from clipboard.” Basically, I’d like to be able to:
- Copy my button instance with all its overrides
- Select another button or maybe some random nested component instance
- Hit Paste and watch the button and its overrides replace the selected layer
It would really just be a shortcut for selecting a nested instance, using the swap menu to choose Button, and re-filling out the overrides. But saving time and cognitive load in those little repetitive actions would make the design/prototyping experience feel more direct, IMO.
Anyone have any other ideas, workarounds, plugins to help make this little process more painless?