Option to NOT create subfolders when exporting assets

It really annoys me that Figma automatically creates subfolders when you export an element that’s inside a component and has a ‘/’ naming convention. I always have to go back into the folder and delete the folders or rename everything. It would be great to have a simple checkbox toggle in the exports panel to enable/disable creating subfolders, similar to Illustrator.

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 5.49.33 PM.png

34 Likes

Here here!

3 Likes

Little but great suggestion, voted!

3 Likes

Yes! I hate it when Figma does this

3 Likes

please add this

5 Likes

true, those subfolders are annoying

3 Likes

Fully agree! Being allowed to choose NOT to auto-create subfolders would be amazing and save me time and hassle on a regular basis. Thank you for considering this!

2 Likes

Oh my god PLEASE. It’s so annoying—just put the files where I asked figma to put them

4 Likes

this issue just caused me a big pain when trying to quickly export for a presentation. big +1 to this request.

I can’t state just how annoying this is. Exported files will just not “show up” where you told it to export. Instead you have to figure out which folder it thought it should go, open Finder individually and stupidly navigate there. It’s just so annoying.

3 Likes

Yes, this. So annoying when the exported screens or assets are nested in 3 or 4 folders.

1 Like

Yes, no subfolders, and a system dialog to be able to name the file! So much time wasted to delete folders and rename files!

Please fix this figma… can’t stand this behavior!

1 Like

100% agreed…

1 Like

my life would be a lot better.

Just don’t use slash

1 Like

please Figma do it !

It would be sooo useful if there was an option to automatically replace the slash with a dash ‘-’ instead when exporting, so we wouldn’t have to rename everything in Finder afterwards!

Swapping the slash would be more useful because we have to use the slash within Figma to organise all the icons etc.

Would be yo helpful.

Just ran into this behavior for the first time, and oof, was it unexpected. And at least in macOS, the system save dialog was very unfamiliar when in this “mode”, not letting me change the filename while saving for example.

If this is unintentional behavior (which I suspect), it should be fixed by sanitizing the filename before sending to the system save dialog. If this is intentional behavior, then there should either be a warning when using / in frame names (which sounds gross tbh) or the option to sanitize them away during export.

Because the current situation, where I just found out that my dozens of frames have problematic names, is… not fun!