Option-drag a locked layer results in duplicating it

1. Describe the bug/issue you’re running into?
Option-drag a locked layer results in duplicating the locked layer.

2. Are you able to consistently reproduce it? If so what are the steps?
Yes. Any locked layer.

3. Share a screenshot, recording, console log, link to the file, etc.

4. Is the issue only happening in desktop app or a specific browser , or both?
Desktop app.

5. What OS/version and/or browser/version are you using?
MacOS 11.2.3

2 Likes

I can replicate this in Figma as well. Do you think it’s a bug? In my opinion it can be a nice feature. You are not modifying the original node so the “locked” condition isn’t broken.

imo it’s a bug if one of the users is trying to replicate a post-it note they were actively playing with, and by mistake end up duplicating a locked background layer, which in turn covers the exercise/board for the entire team.

If something’s locked, no action from it should be possible.
This is the case in Figma itself, where if you lock a layer, all actions (editing/destroying/duplicating) are disabled.

Because of this inconsistency between the two environments, the FigJam locked behavior feels like a bug.

2 Likes

Oh, I think I see root issue: in Figma you can’t directly select a locked layer, so you can’t duplicate it easily. But in FigJam it’s possible to select a locked layer. All other actions for locked objects are the same in both tools.

+1 for this issue.

This ‘feature’ is so frustrating.
It’s an undesirable action/outcome that produces mostly unintended actions, as background ‘frames/artboards’ are duplicated when attempting to duplicate non-locked element

Locked items should be locked; no ability to duplicate, move, …

(Option + Drag would ideally be used for targeted Selecting — i.e. only select elements which fell entirely within the dragged area.)

I’d say it also suggest a need for formal ‘frames’/artboards.

2 Likes

It’s been a year and still not fixed? This caused problems repeatedly in a workshop today. People try to option-drag a sticky, but accidentally duplicate the locked background, covering up everything.

1 Like

any progress on this unwanted behavior??

Hey All, sorry for the delayed reply and thank you for flagging this!

We’ll pass this onto our FigJam team to investigate.

In the meantime, you can also submit a bug report to our support team directly via the form here: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360001744374

Be sure to use your Figma account email and include as much detail as possible, so they can take a closer look.