Is figma consuming a lot of RAM for you too?

Hello Figma community !
(I hope I’m posting this in the good categorie)

I’m working from home (yay covid you know) and I constantly have MS Teams, Figma and Firefox opened. I’ve been done with my computer (i7 8th gen, 16gb ddr4 ram, nvme ssd) lags and all the software freezing so I started searching the problem. I figured it out quickly : my ram was full (15,6 of 16 gb).

I rebooted the computer and softwares, and then my pc immediately started using 10GB.
Windows uses 5gb, Teams 1gb, Firefox 2gb (I’ve got a lot of tabs) and 2GB are immediately dedicated to Figma.

1. Isn’t that big for Figma to use immediately 2GB** (i opened only one projects) after launching ? It goes to 4.5GB if I open 2 or 3 projects…
  2. Is that normal for Figma to use that amount of RAM or am I doing something wrong ?
  3. Do I need a better pc for that usage ?

I’m a student using figma for almost all of my works and buying a better computer is not an option for now.

What are your tips and pros about Figma RAM (and CPU) usage ?
Tell me :slight_smile: !

5 Likes

Same problem

3 Likes

same problem for me too in MacOS big sur.

1 Like

Memory problems appear when trying to update the component library

I have a large number of nested components. There is no possibility to move the master components to another file - therefore it creates huge problems and prevents the optimisation of my design system.

Just wanted to bump this very old thread as this is still a problem. Freshly launched figma and already 15 gigs ram reserved for it. Havent moved a single pixel yet.

1 Like

Hi Corey

With time I found a solution that works for me (at least on Windows OS).

I didn’t thought Cleaner software would work (I consider them as scam) but it effectively wipes the temporary files pending for firefox and figma.

First, I shutdown figma and firefox
Second, I use a “Cleaner software”, CCleaner in my case, in order to clean “temporary files”
Third, I restart my computer
At this point, ram usages of figma and firefox became meaningless when I launch them.

Looks like figma is accumulating things and keeps loading them on ram unless you clean it manually.

This ritual works for me but I got no clues if it works on MacOS

1 Like

There’s cache on macOS as well and it’s much space hogging compared to win. Just have to find a way to clean them though as I also think the same about cleaners heh. I’ll update here if it works :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply @Clement_Chartrain

Figma is consuming up to 8gigs of RAM on my 16gb Hp OMEN Laptop

I’m having using Figma since mids 2021 and now I have that problem… since a month or so…
I did the Ccleaner thing but didn’t work at all. Idk what to do to solve this problem. Figma consumes a lot of RAM that sometimes freeze my pc and I have to restart the system. I notice that this is not happening in Figma web, but I wan’t to use Figma for desktop.
I need some reply from Figma’s tech support…

1 Like

I also have the same problem.
My computer has 16gb of RAM.
More and more often, figma consumes all my RAM and freezes my computer.
I have to quit figma and reopen it but sometimes even this doesn’t fix the issue.

I have been having this same issue for a couple of months now. Will getting a machine with 32GB RAM fix it? It makes figma crawl which makes is super hard to get my work done.