Doubled up components

Hello! I have a small issue and need some help/input. I’ll try to explain it as best as I can, so bear with me. :blush:

We’ve decided to rebuild our prototype to accommodate local variables, advanced prototyping, and so on. As a result, we’ve created a new project (folder) in Figma and are starting from scratch. Naturally, we want to create all our components anew, using local variables instead of styles, etc.

Now, here’s the problem:
The old components are still accessible in the new project, which is unexpected. I didn’t think they would be accessible outside their own folder/project, but they are. This means that when I create new components in the new project, I end up with duplicate versions of each when I search for them. It’s annoying.

I’m aware that I could move the old component file into the new project, but then they wouldn’t have access to the local variables, which defeats the purpose of starting fresh.

So, I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to solve this? I simply don’t want to have access to the old components in the new project.

Hi @Ingebjorg_Gregersen
I have the same problem, when I update a component in the design system, Figma duplicates it in the other files, instead of updating it. I think it’s a Figma bug, I hope they solve it soon because it’s very cumbersome to update it manually one by one in the instance selector