Figma Support Forum

Create component inside another component

Say I have a component of a card and after various iterations in my design I want a group inside that card component to be a component but the “Create Component” option won’t show up.

So every time I stumble upon this problem I have to take that group out of the card component, then create a component out of that group and then place it back inside my card component.

Is there a reasoning behind not allowing users to create components within components?

That’s how Figma works, main instance of the component cannot be inside of another component

Yep, I clearly understand that’s how Figma works. I’d like to know the reasoning behind that, though.

A solution would be: If you try to create a component within a component, the created component appears as an instance and the main one appears outside the component you’re working on.

That’s exactly the way it worked not long ago. Maybe some folks from Figma can elaborate on this change

1 Like

No change here. It works the other way around… so if you have a main component within another layer and make that parent layer a component, then it will move the component outside and place an instance within it.

1 Like