Clip and ellipsize text in Fixed size text blocks

1. Idea is that the text block should keep all the text but everything that goes beyond the block must be clipped (the same as Clip content for frames).
  2. Ideally, an ellipsys (three dots) should be placed at the end of this block (similar to text-overflow: ellipsis in CSS).
45 Likes

Wow, that woukd be amazing! Been needing this for a while now! :ok_hand:t3::heart:

4 Likes

Agreed, great idea. And to go above and beyond, let us pick if we want front-line, end-line, or mid-line truncation. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Reviving this :point_up:

3 Likes

up :point_up_2:

1 Like

We need this! I had assumed I could just not figure out how to do it

1 Like

I could use this :point_up_2:

1 Like

Bump! Please please please!

1 Like

Yes! Need this!

1 Like

This isn’t a thing yet??? How???

Yup… wanted to test what a good length for a single-line text with an ellipsis is. I guess I’ll have to make do with manually retyping it. : /

I love this! Figma, lets make this happen!

Clearly the fact that this is getting so many necrobumps means that this is not only something that people like when they see, but it’s a feature that people actively look for when they don’t see, in order to find this thread.

Since Figma has not listened and probably will not ever listen to this particular feature request, there is 0 worth in continuing to bump the thread.

4 Likes

Bump! Bump! Bump! :point_up:

i also agreed

I approve!

Truncate text is a thing now. Figma has listened :]

Yes! Please!

4 Likes

Amazing! Works perfectly. <3

Had to re-read the instructions though, so for clarity:
1: select the text
2: hold the option (Mac) or alt (Windows) button
3: click on “Fixed”