Changing variables with smart animate

I cant change variables with smart animate now, so feature changing variables working good only for layers that cant be smart animated, like text, but another variables like string (that is variant), cant be smart animated, if i change it like variables in conditions. And this trouble clearly visible, when i try to change nested variable instances, they change with “instant” effect, like all the variables. it is very hard to work this way, with simple variables, nested variables and interdependent variables, unfortunately, because of this trouble it makes variables interesting to use only for text layer change. And i have to work with Figma old way. Please, hear it and make some changes

In prototyping mode, when you pair an interaction’s trigger with either “Set variable”, “Set variable mode” or “Check if/else”, there is no option to enable smart animate or dissolve transitions for any ensuing variable changes.

I understand how complex this would be to implement. Smart animate in its current form creates a transition BETWEEN frames and component variants, but tying it to variables would mean it would also need to be connected to frames THEMSELVES.

Maybe there could be a setting to “enable smart animate for variable changes” in the interaction panel of the parent frame, and all child frames would inherit this setting unless we manually override it?

Does anyone else feel like this would be a gamechanger for teams trying to do more realistic user testing in Figma?

Hey All, thanks for the feedback!

We’ll pass this onto the team for future consideration.