4k Game UI Design Best Practices

Hey guys! New to Figma and just wanted to make sure I’m on the right track with my approach to high-res UI design, since I haven’t found anything super definitive from my searches.

I want to use Figma to lay out a UI for a max resolution of 3840x2160 (above that and it will just upscale). I’m planning on doing this with a combination of vector assets created in
Figma, and external assets created in Photoshop that are then brought into Figma.

My questions are:

• Am I fine to work in a 1920x1080 canvas, and simply export everything x2 (which equals 3840x2160)? Is this what I should be doing?
  • Assuming I can and should work on a 1920x1080 canvas, should I just create my Photoshop assets at the full resolution, and manually scale them down 50% when placing them in a frame in Figma? There’s no “reference resolution” of any sort that I can/should set that will automatically recognize and perform the conversion?

These questions feel pretty “Yeah duh, what else are you gonna do?”, but just want to make sure I’m not missing anything obvious with my approach before I dig in.

Thanks!

I’m no expert when it comes to game UI but I would exactly do it like you described.

1 Like