Sub-branching (Child Branches)

Love that branches were added but would like to make some suggestions:

Support sub-branches from branches. This is a really helpful way to signify milestones in an app design and allow for many avenues of exploration and iterations with the ability to only merge the branch (feature or milestone) which was approved.

See example below of how I would ideally structure the process of a project

17 Likes

It would be really nice if we could have child branches, so if someone is working on a branch, then you can create a sub-branch out of that parent.

This would be really helpful for when (for example) the parent branch is holding off on merging because the design process doesn’t allow a designer to merge until the feature is in production. Right now there is no way to work separately on the changes someone made on a branch, as branching from the master does not include those changes.

When working with Abstract, I really used this feature, and I do need this in Figma as well :pray:

8 Likes

Or branching at page level

2 Likes

I would love to see this functionality. Are there active devs engaging in the forums?

I would love to see deep branching, my use case is Production → Beta → QA → Dev → All the dev branches. If a change is made in production, it could be merged up to beta/qa/dev/etc like the current main → branch merges. We could then request merge reviews backwards (dev branches into dev, dev into qa, qa into beta, etc) like the merge review system currently. Is this possible to add? My use case is quite similar to the proposed idea.

Other branch/sub-branch related threads below, non of the QOL merge management (better merge handling, change rejections/filtering, etc).

1 Like

This would be super helpful for my team. I am trying to match the design versions with the development. We want to have something similar to a develop-branch to which we merge all designs that are ready for verification. The main we want to have matched with the latest release so that it is the “single source of truth”.

Would be great to have sub branches indeed. The knock on of having multiple changes across a release plan means designs need to be ahead of the builders. Thats barely possible with the current branches with no children model as it means copying and pasting between branches if one is in flight / launching sooner.

So much demand for improvements to branching. Feels like Figma are not really showing this feature much attention - too busy with fancy show stoppers like AI :cry:

3 Likes

Bumping this… Still something my team needs, if we are to keep Figma. Doubtful that they are doing anything here, as the Feature released in Oct '21 and we are now in Jan '24…

Support response:

I can confirm this functionality doesn’t exist and [it] wouldn’t be possible with a plugin either, unfortunately. To the best of my knowledge it’s not something we’re working on either.

The support member did mention they will make a ticket about it and get it to the team. So :crossed_fingers: here’s hoping?