Skip to main content
Norbert_Godany
June 22, 2023

LAUNCHED: Preview font families on page when cycling through with the arrow keys

  • June 22, 2023
  • 58 replies
  • 3189 views

Hello!

There was a feature in Figma, that when you cycled between font families with the arrow keys, the text changed on the page to that font even before confirming the change.

Now with the new font window, you need to confirm your selection to preview the text in your page. If you don’t like it, you need to again open up the fonts window, and go through the process.

Photoshop behavior is much nicer, where you see the fonts in the window, how they are, plus there’s a preview on the page.

I believe this feature was working fine before the updates.

Have a nice day!
Norbert

58 replies

Ivan_Fedorov
June 22, 2023

I don’t want to spam with the same post again, so here is the link (preview does not include formatting):

Can someone, please, explain me the reasoning behind this change? Thank you.

Ivan_Fedorov
June 22, 2023

this change was intentional with the launch of Font picker

I was hoping that it was a bug … I’m sorry, but this is really bad UX 😦 Why removing that functionality at all? You could have both (eg. Affinity has previews + quick change with arrows).

June 22, 2023

I used to use keyboard arrows up and down to have a preview of next and previous fonts immediately on my mockup. Now it is not possible. I have to click to select the font to get it on my mockup. It is so annoying!

IraX
Power Member
June 22, 2023

I agree - removing that in-context preview really makes this a lot harder.

June 27, 2023

Just updated to 116.10.9.

Previuosly I would select fonts in a design and simply arrow through the fonts list to live update the design. This would then be mirrored across a range of screens with different gamma, resolutions and screen reflections, some at distance.

After the latest up date I am unable to now arrow thrrough the fonts list and have the design live update. Now it takes multiple clicks to select a font.

This is a HUGE down grade to functionalty!!!

June 27, 2023

This is a major downgrade to a feature that worked really well previously. Please fix.

June 28, 2023

this is absolutely a disgrace.
literally killed a central part of my prototyping from reference.
it was a vital part of my creative process that allowed me to speed up design decisions.

i literally will have to change software from now on.

June 28, 2023

Please bring this feature back.
im not sure devs realize how vital this is in fast paced prototyping environments.

June 28, 2023

changing this feature is insane.

i had to spend the last two hours and a half doing the work i usually do in a fraction of the time, literally 15 minutes at max.
honestly, you killed the product with this.

chuahdary_Shan
June 28, 2023

Hey,

Can we make this font view look like Photoshop’s text field + dropdown?

It helps the user to copy the font and doesn’t disrupt the old user flow.