Figma Support Forum

New missing fonts behavior in interactive components

Hi all! You may have noticed changes recently where fonts were replaced on load in prototypes with interactive components, even when the prototype was viewed on a device with access to those fonts. This was a bug and has been fixed.

We are launching new font handling behavior for interactive components in prototypes viewed on devices without access to fonts.

• This fixes various layout and override preservation bugs that would occur when prototypes using local-only fonts inside interactive components were viewed on devices without those fonts installed.
  • We’re now replacing any missing fonts inside interactive instances with Inter when loading a prototype with interactive components enabled. We’ll show a notification when this happens and an A? icon in the presentation mode toolbar that may be clicked to display more information. Here is what that looks like:
    Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 11.16.20 AM
  • If you have all needed fonts installed on your device, we won’t replace any fonts, but we’ll still show the A? icon if you have any local-only fonts that might be replaced when the prototype is viewed on other devices.

If your team is in an organization plan, you can ensure that all prototype viewers have access to fonts in your prototype by uploading them as shared fonts. Issues involving access to shared fonts in embeds and maze integrations should now be fixed.

We recommend using Google fonts for prototypes that are being shared with viewers who may not have access to custom fonts in your designs, or flattening text if possible.

Please reply to this thread with any questions!

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

I notice this behavior also applies to the Beta mobile application. Even if the font is shown everywhere in my design, in some interactive components is replaces with something else (Inter maybe?)
To give some context, I’m working on a mobile application, I’m using SF Pro Text and I’m working on a mobile app design using the Beta app on an iPhone 12.

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for the update on this topic.

I suppose I’m mostly left wondering if there are any future plans to fully support non-local fonts for interactive components in prototype mode, or if there is a technical constraint here that can’t be got around?

In my role, I’m creating web designs for our clients, most of which have their own specific brand font which needs to be used in the visuals in order to accurately show how the website will look when fully built. Most of these fonts come from our Adobe or Fonts.com subscription, so we can’t send them a local font file to install for when they look through the Figma link.

Currently, I’m leaning towards thinking it will be easiest to avoid interactive components completely to get around this, but this would be such a shame as they are so powerful and have been a game-changer up until now in terms of making my designs feel more like a website (mostly using them for hover states).

Thanks.

3 Likes

This issue is indeed a game-changer, I can’t use interactive components now because all my projects are meant to be viewed by external parties :confused:
I hope this is only temporary and that a fix is coming soon :pray:
Dunno if it’s interesting, but this is the error log my client gets when trying to view my prototype with interactive components

2 Likes