Missing Variants option in right sidebar

Oh, well it’s good that they didn’t remove the action completely but I certainly did NOT think to look there for something that becomes part of the Properties panel section and was there previously. I did find the right-click submenu item on my own.

Figma, could we have both buttons (top and side panel) and the menu command? Building a new design system, I’m working with variants a lot.

2 Likes

Me too. I guess we’ll have to get used to it as well as the other changes. Yesterday I was confident about auto layout, today not so much… hahaha
If you ask me, I think they should add a variant shortcut as well. In cases with lots of variants it would really come in handy! :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

All this supposed helpful updates are not well thought out in my opinion.

I can no longer see every and all variants at a glance. How is this helpful? we have to instead dig through more clicking after clicking after clicking…

1 Like

right click component >> main component >> Add variant

ps. they should tell us first lol :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, they should surface the variants a bit more. The properties are much improved, albeit a little more complex to grasp.

Thanks a lot you’re the best… I got frustrated :disappointed:

1 Like

I also am having this issue. I can still create variants and add properties. This still shows the components panel, but the variants panel seems to be completely gone for me and will not show. Hoping to see the panel return in the next update as the experience was superior in my opinion.

1 Like

How can Variant option be removed from the right panel, it’s available when you right click and on the top bar but once created, I am not able to delete any of the property/…Strange :frowning:

1 Like

Stuck here too. Worked through the tutorial file and creating a text property only creates a boolean. Does not work as advertised. - Was hoping this would be flagged and patched quickly, but it’s been over a week. Am I the only one?

1 Like

@Karin_Curkowicz

there is an option called properties in sidebar when you create a component. when you click on properties , the variant option is there.

1 Like

Same issue here.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I’m so glad I found this. I thought I was going crazy, but it is really not there! I’ve been messing around with it, and when I go to prototype mode, it gives me an error and said it needs at least one frame, but it has multiple frames and they’re turned into components, just like every single tutorial says to do. I can’t get it to work for the life of me.

Again, I’m glad to find this post because I know it’s not my fault. It’s VERY frustrating to not be able to do basic looking things.
I swear it’s missing, something’s wrong, I say out loud now I know it really is.

Moreover, I want to be able to animate in FIGMA and I can hardly get things to work.
My background is in motion graphics, and animating in Figma sucks so far. I want to love FIGMA more, and I fell in love fast. Now I feel like it’s fighting me.
I’m sure there’s more that can be done, but I can’t get anything to work as tutorials all show.

How can you make something rotate a full revolution? Or follow a path. “Frames” “Components” make me think of the stage and symbols in flash or animate, but they’ve not worked yet.

I’m sick of wasting time.

Where’s a real tutorial?

Thanks

Maybe it’s an issue because you are selecting for example 3 main components and 1 instance. If you have only main components the variants option for combine is shown in the right panel or top.

Right click > main component > add Variant

You must click on the component button to show (+icon) on side bar and add variant property.

This was my Problem:

Make Sure the variant name is correct. When editing the name, make sure it’s in the format:

property:name

Compare the variant name of the variant that is not showing up with one that is showing up. You’ll see the difference.

Hope this helps.