Link to nested frames

I often place my work inside a parent frame, that is styled for presentations. I would like to link directly to a nested frame within.

“Link to selected frame” only allows linking to frames that sit directly on the canvas. Please support at least one level deeper.

15 Likes

Either this, or having some sort of auto layout grid feature for the canvas so parent frames easily organize themselves.

3 Likes

Agreed with this request. I’m trying to create a shared background for several frames where a reader can ‘follow’ a journey between consecutive nested frames. The only way to see the background is these nested frames is using a parent frame - unfortunately the connections between the nested frames then become invalid.

+1 on linking to nested frames! I use auto-layout for everything and organize lots of content this way. I need to be able to link to nested sections of my designs.

3 Likes

yes please!

This shouldn’t be so hard, please, do this. Another use case for me is when I write User stories, I need to place designs of parts of the screen specify details. It would be great to just embed Figma links to those nested frames. Now I have to do screenshots.

1 Like

Seconded. I am trying to link to a form that is on a page with three others. With just three forms, it’s a minor inconvenience-but what about a page that has 10+ forms?
Also, why can’t Figma hyperlink from an image without using a 0% opacity text layer?
I’ve been using Figma for about 2 months now, and while it has many good features, there are lots of glaring gaps in functionality.

This would be super helpful in streamlining our workflow.

This is very frustrating and has actually caused me to advocate against using figma in our org. Not being able to link nested frames means that I often can’t link directly to figma screens in my jira tickets which causes confusion, mistakes, and eats up our dev time. My designer uses the frames on the canvas though, to be able to move groups of screens around together in a frame. I find myself having to take screenshots of individual screens to link to tickets which defeats the purpose of having a design platform that integrates with Jira.

2 Likes

We need this feature)

+1
The inability to link down into nested frames is hugely disruptive to our team’s workflow and we rely on sharing screenshots or exporting pngs - which get outdated as soon as revisions are made.

2 Likes

Yes please, I really want to be able to do this too. Though I have had links from my own files sent to me from a developer recently, and one of them linked to a nested frame. No idea how he did that.

I asked the developer and there is a workaround. Instead of using the large blue share button top right, find the nested frame you want to link to in the layers panel. Then control-click, select Copy/paste as > Copy link. The link that gets generated then links to that specific frame. Hooray for Anders the developer!

6 Likes

Thanks @James_McKay for getting to the bottom of this — this is great news!

+1 to supporting this via the share button. Love the workaround though, thanks for sharing @James_McKay

This workaround is awesome!
Heads up though: Even though the menu item is labeled Ctrl + L, using the keyboard shortcut still copies a link to the enclosing parent frame.
I’m reporting a bug for this.

2 Likes

Indeed, you’re right!

It seems the shortcut has been updated to ⌘ L.

However, the bug you pointed out regarding the shortcut still appears to be an issue.