Layer Label Color

I would love the ability to set a background color in the layer list. I’d like to be able to set this on an individual layer or group of layers.

I often have trouble finding important groups of layers. I’ve resorted to using emojis which helps. But imagine that we could color the background color of the label.

I’d also like to edit the label name so that in my document “Blue” would represent to my developers that it’s grids.

35 Likes

Coloring the name of the layers (either the text or its background), with a gradient (the higher the level, the more staturated the color) would make easy to categorize the layers/groups/frames in a big workspace.

We could signal headers/footers inside a frame ; signal a variation on a specific frame ; signal before/after frames ; etc.

9 Likes

While I can group groups, I still have to read the group name. In complex projects, the names of a group can become unreadable depending on how deep I go for categorization.

Borrowing from digital audio production, where I can have the same issue, they usually allow color coding of groups. if I color code my groups, I can quickly find that group or category in layer listing.

Doing this would also keep me from designing something on the wrong frame, which I have done in super complex designs.

I would post a picture of this, but I believe everyone has this issue to a degree.

Does anyone else think this would speed up how you find groups/layers, search groups/layers, find objects, etc? How could this be expanded into libraries as well?

4 Likes

Hi there! Sometimes I would like to have highlighted frames -in a subtle way- in order to have a visual aid to identify key frames, or to “group” frames by a color in the layers panel. I don’t know if anyone else has this need, but I think it could add a new hierarchy level and help the internal order of files.

Other software tools wich I don’t use anymore (because of Figma :heart:) have this feature.

Thanks for reading, hope this could be useful in the future.

The layers panel is terribly unreadable. With a lot of nested frames, groups and layers, it is impossible to navigate it easily.

It seems to me that a slight lifting of contrast and icons would significantly increase readability. It would also be a good idea to give the user the possibility to edit the colours of individual frames or groups.

The example I made to illustrate what I mean :smiley:

24 Likes

I’d like to vote for “Dream” background with the icons from “Better (colours)”. Don’t know that I want coloured backgrounds on the layers panel, I’d rather have the panel a bit muted so it doesn’t distract from my design work.

3 Likes

I really like this suggestion. A number of UI elements in Figma are too low contrast and washed out, and your Dream (colors) mock looks great.

2 Likes

9 months, still no update …

2 Likes

Would also love to see this implemented.

I found this plugin and it works. Figma - Layer Icon: for your important layer | Having trouble finding important groups of layers? Now you have the ability to set a Special Icon...

But if it could be inside Figma, it would be much better. Always busy with looking for layers in the layer list.

1. Describe the problem your experiencing and how your idea helps solve this’
    Sometimes I have a layer in my list that I want to make stand out between all the others. Often it’s when drafting ideas, and use a coloured background that I lock and therefore cannot click to select. It would save me time to give such layers a colour in the layer list, so when I scroll, it stands out.

2. Add as much context as possible (screenshots, Figma files, mockups, etc.)

Photoshop has this type of feature:

1. Ask questions to bring the community into the conversation
    (e.g. Does anyone else experience this? Is anyone using a plugin or workaround to help solve this?, etc.

4 Likes

I was just exactly thinking same. I got used to colour code some groups in photoshop, so just a nested view in figma looks a bit confusing and hard to navigate!

Love and Live the Dream!!!

1 Like

:+1: This will save me so much time

1 Like

I really dont get it why this is still not a feature. Does even Figma consider these ideas in forums?

2 Likes

1000 times yes!

Not sure… I’ve read A LOT of great feature suggestions and threads with lots of votes but most of the time you don’t even see an official reaction from Figma’s side.

It would be cool to separate frames and categorize them by color so frames could be easily spotted when we need to export.

Would love to be able to color code each layer on the side panel to help break things apart as well as apply some logic to how things are organized.

Hope this gonna happen. I’m new on Figma, and I came from XD. Everything is better in Figma … except layers window :frowning:

1 Like