I’d like to be able to drag-and-drop elements in Figma to be able to export them. It’d be faster and cleaner for a lot of workflows.
It’s slow and messy to take a frame from Figma and upload it as an asset into a CMS, filesystem, or wherever.
- Select the frame
- Add and adjust export options
- Rename the frame so it makes sense in the file system (optional)
- Export (⇧⌘E / ⇧⌃E)
- Choose location and export
- Navigate to file location in browser uploader; upload
- Navigate to file location in OS
- Delete exported file(s) to clean up
This is a lot of steps with fine motor skills and small decisions, with a high chance of leaving junk on my filesystem that I’ll need to sift through and delete later.
Fortunately, some applications allow me to paste images into them as a way of uploading (e.g., Slack, email). In these cases, my process is much simpler:
- Select frame
- Copy PNG (⌘⇧C) or SVG (⌘⏎+svg+⏎) to clipboard
- Paste into browser (⌘V)
Wow! Wouldn’t it be great if the process were so clean every time I export!?
Give us a way to drag-and-drop files from the Export panel.
- Each export option is draggable and produces that respective file.
- Give draggable icons for PNG and SVG that product the same file as Copy to Clipboard without needing to add export options to a frame.
With this feature, the upload-to-CMS process could look like:
- Select frame
- Drag icon or export option from Export panel
- Drop in browser upload area or filesystem
Wouldn’t that be faster and cleaner!? Let’s make it happen!