Create SubFolders / Organizing Your Workspace and Adding Folders in Figma's Drafts Section

Figma is a powerful design tool that allows designers to create and collaborate on projects seamlessly. However, as the number of projects grows, organizing your workspace can become a daunting task. Finding specific projects can be difficult, especially if your workspace is cluttered and disorganized. Fortunately, Figma provides users with the ability to create folders and subfolders to keep their projects organized and easily accessible.

One of the most useful features of Figma is the ‘Drafts’ section, which allows you to save incomplete or unfinished projects. This feature is especially handy when you need to work on multiple projects simultaneously, but don’t want to clutter your workspace with unfinished designs. The ‘Drafts’ section gives you the ability to save your progress, so you can come back to it later.

To add a folder to your Drafts section, follow these easy steps:

1. Click on the ‘Drafts’ section located on the left-hand side of your Figma dashboard.
  2. Click on the ‘Create new folder’ icon located at the top of the Drafts section.
  3. Name your folder and click ‘Create.’

After creating the folder, you can drag and drop your incomplete or unfinished projects into the folder. You can also create subfolders within your main folders to further organize your workspace. This makes it easy to find specific projects, even if you have a large number of designs.

In conclusion, organizing your workspace in Figma is crucial to improving your workflow and productivity. By using the ‘Drafts’ section and creating folders, you can keep your projects organized and easily accessible. You’ll be able to find specific designs quickly, which will save you time and increase your productivity.

I would really like to see this functionality implemented. There are many reasons why this would be beneficial. For one, it would greatly improve the user experience, making it easier for people to use and navigate the system. Additionally, it could lead to increased productivity, as users would be able to accomplish tasks more efficiently. All in all, there are many compelling reasons why this feature should be a top priority for the development team.

17 Likes

I really want this, too. I have a lot of files that I don’t want/need to share with other team members so moving them into a team doesn’t make sense. A mix of scratch pad files, random ideas not tied to a specific project, community files I reference sometimes, etc. Everything is a big mess right now, so some organization would be great!

5 Likes

This would be great to have within projects as well. Even files organised within teams get out of hand easily. It would be super useful to be able to organise these a bit better.

3 Likes

I would love this too and it feels like a need! Especially as I often work for lots of different companies, and have lots of different projects and files for each of those projects. I don’t necessarily need to set up a team, I just need to be able to group files together so that’s easier to find everything.

1 Like

I am just switching from Adobe XD to Figma and can’t believe this is not a feature; how else to keep your files organised? There is no point in adding long names to files just to know what it stands for. I mean, for the same project, I might have three or more different areas (e.g. branding, presentation UIs, logged-in UIs, etc). In this case, the only solution is to create three separate projects for the same project - talking about cluttering the workspace…

2 Likes

I would also switch sides, but Figma is gradually taking a very large chunk of the market. I really love the Adobe ecosystem, but sometimes I have to use other products.

And each update looks very strange when such seemingly simple functions are still not available, or are available for a fee.

If Figma gives us folders, then what would they they use to get us to pay for the professional tier? Currently the only concept of “folders” that exist or even make organizing files is via a Team, then creating Projects in the team.

If you want that, its $12 USD a month.

1 Like

Developed a plugin to help organize the files in Drafts in folders and subfolders https://www.figma.com/community/plugin/1309183080542870713/folder-structure

I totally agree :slight_smile:

1 Like

Add it, this is a no brainer.

3 Likes

very much needed! pretty please :3

Yes, we really need subfolders in teams or projects for further levels of organization.