Component instance is not updating, after the master component is changed

I have a master component in an external component file. This master component is build out of other subcomponents. If I place this master component into my work-file and change the variant of a subcomponent the master component doesn’t update anymore if I change something like opacity etc. in the master file.
If I don’t change the variant of a nested sub-component everything works fine.
Resetting the component works just fine.

I’ve tried the following:

• Unpublishing and republishing the library
  • Changing other things in the master component to force an update
  • Different browsers and native app

Can you please help me?

2 Likes

Hard to be precise without the file and details of the situation but it seems to me that you’re trying to move a master component from one file to another. This cannot be done by simply copying and pasting. Once you’ve done that, you have to relink any instance of that component using “swap libraries” for the updates to work. Alternatively, you can use the “Master” plugin.

I noticed following situations when you stop getting the updates from the main component:

1. Detaching the instances (obvious)
  2. You overridden the properties of the instance (the most common known one)
  3. Nesting private components and then swapping that instance. This applies to variants, as well (changing the properties of a variant that is private).

The third case is new for me as well, and I didn’t expect this to happen. I even reported this to the support team and we spend a lot of time figuring out what’s the problem, since i was using . symbol to make them private. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Andrei,
the 3. one was my issue. These components included subcomponents that had a . and apparently this clashed with the changes in the master component.
I removed the . and now it works. Kinda unfortunate, since now the subcomponents get exported as well, but at least it works…

1 Like

No, Antoine, that’s not the issue.
Unfortunately, I can’t share the file since it’s confidential. But Andrei, already provided the solution :slight_smile:

By the way it’s possible to move components now without the Master-Plugin. You just have to publish the file first, bevore you copy/paste the components in another file.

1 Like

I have the same exact issue, I had a card component with a content component I swapped… and I named it with the prefix .:lock:master /
I’ts a pain, since i don’t want those components exposed

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

thanks for sharing