Skip to main content
cesno
Active Member
June 1, 2021

Brushes!

  • June 1, 2021
  • 11 replies
  • 8224 views

I use Figma for UI and graphic design but also for illustration and some motion now. And one thing that I miss often is brushes ! Vector ones of course. Not even complicated ones, without transparency, maybe just a pencil, a paint brush and a marker.

Maybe just the ability to add automatic variations to the strokes to give them a more natural or hand drawn feel. I tried Variable-Width stroke plugin but i wasn’t convinced.

The option could be add to the stroke panel, in the advanced stroke options.

Am I the only one who dreams about it ?

11 replies

megaroeny
Active Member
October 6, 2021

With more and more illustrations popping up in the community, using Figma, this makes perfect sense. Varied brush strokes weights, but also some added texture types. My team really wants to use Figma as much as possible, but this is one issue as to why they can’t.

Renato_Franchitto
October 26, 2021

Does this mean there’s nothing available at the moment for figma?

cesno
cesnoAuthor
Active Member
December 13, 2021

Nope. There isn’t 🙁

James_Mitchell
January 1, 2022

My girlfriend does technical drawings in the fashion industry and I honestly think the ONLY thing that would prohibit fashion designers from switching to Figma (from Illustrator) is brushes.

The critical one is custom brushes for each type of seam etc. But the blob brush for adding fills behind the line-work would be pretty handy too.

Tarik2
April 23, 2023

I work in the game UI industry and brush is something I really find myself needing all the time, so this would be amazing, sorry for bump 🙂

Tarik2
April 23, 2023

I work in the game UI industry and I have to use Photoshop and other programs if I need to use a brush tool, that’d be amazing if it was implemented in Figma and it would drastically increase Figma’s graphic design power, if anyone else needs a brush tool and would like to vote, here’s a link 🙂

Celine_
Figmate
Community Support
April 24, 2023

Hi @Tarik2 ,
Thank you for your feedback! I merged your topic with “Brushes!” topic, so we can gather all the feedbacks under the same topic.

Darko3
December 23, 2023

It will be amazing to have a brush tool in Figma i think it will be a game changer.

Slava_Kim
New Member
July 14, 2024

If any of you are on Twitter, I posted a few videos with demos of what I managed to build in a plugin in a day (so very incomplete): x.com.

Let me know if that looks like folks here are looking for, and if not, reply to the Twitter thread with feedback and whether you would use it.

(To clarify: this is a personal project, I am not longer an active employee despite the forum badge)

cesno
cesnoAuthor
Active Member
February 23, 2025

​@Slava_Kim i’ll check it out !