Variants and Multiple Screens for Prototypes

1. Describe the problem your experiencing and how your idea helps solve this

You can currently only have one screen / device in a prototype when you play / view it.

1. Add as much context as possible (screenshots, Figma files, mockups, etc.)

While you can move the start head to different frames within a prototype you can not have more than one start head. When you do view a prototype you only get to interact with one screen / device per prototype. However, there is a use case for multiple screens / devices in a single prototype (eg: mobile - both orientations, tablet - both orientations, laptop / desktop, large screen). Rather than having multiple prototypes within a single project or file it would be very useful to have the ability to select from among multiple variants right in the one prototype. You could have it to where you can select from among various user defined properties (just like variants do) right where you play the prototype.

1. Ask questions to bring the community into the conversation

Is there an existing solution for this? Is that solution as robust as an actual feature would be? How do other handle this problem? Multiple prototypes on multiple pages in a file?

2 Likes

I’d also like to see the ability to make prototypes for 2 screens. These days it’s really common in my working environment to use more than one screen and for the product I’m designing this is actually very important.
It is still a rare case, where I need to cover the states on both sides, but sometimes I really wished this would be possible.
My current workaround is, to create 2 frames in screensize, place content on it, select both and then I frame the selection. In the prototype I can see 2 screens at once. But since 16:9 HD is very big it’s almost impossible to read anything if you have “fit to screen” actived.

4 Likes

I need this as well - but unfortunately the workaround described doesn´t work for me.

the problem:
I have two screens. Big one and second smaller one.
The smaller one has different gestures to control the bigger one, but you can also click and swipe on the bigger one directly.
So i really need to separate the interaction entry fromt he screens. a swipe in big screen, does different things, than the swipe on the small screen.