Renaming Layer (CMD+R) Text Selection Bug

Previously, when I double-clicked on the text of a layer name in the Layers panel, the entire name was automatically selected. Starting today, when I double-click on the name, my cursor ends at the end of the layer name. This forces me to do an unnecessary action, selecting the entire name separately. I hope this is a bug and not a feature🤞

Does somebody have the same struggle? Is there a possible solution to this issue somewhere? Please let me know if there is a such. All the best to everyone!

3 Likes

I don’t know if I’m slowly going crazy or if my muscle memory is starting to atrophy, but I’ve been noticing that I’ve been fudging up renaming layers. I’ve only noticed this happening within the past day or so.

What I expect is:

1. Click a layer that I want to rename
  2. Hit CMD+R to rename the layer
  3. The current layer name is highlighted so I can just start typing in the new layer name

What occasionally happens like 20% of the time is I hit CMD+R, but the type cursor will move to the end of the layer name but I unknowingly start typing a new layer name so it turns into something like Frame 1234MyLayerName.

I caught it on a screen recording here where I’m clicking between layers to rename with CMD+R. And there’s an instance where I click on the “Row” layer and you can see the layer name deselect and the cursor moves to the end of the strong.

4 Likes

Me too! I made a similar post Renaming Layer (CMD+R) Text Selection Bug

I thought I was going crazy but I tested this on another computer with a different Figma account and it exists there as well

Came here to report the same thing. I really really hope this is a bug and not intentional. Feels like punishment for those of us who actually name their layers.

1 Like

I have the same exact problem as I am used to rename layers with cmd+R. Only to me the problem presents 100% of the times, not just some times.

2 Likes

Can confirm it happens to me as well…
It happens all the time in my case, like it’s intentional. This really ruins my flow.

Please give us a fix! thanks

I also noticed this yesterday. It’s definitely a change from how Cmd+R used to work. It’s also inconsistent. Here’s a video:

1. I press Cmd+R. The cursor goes to the end of the layer name.
  2. I double-click the layer name. The whole layer name is selected.
  3. I press Cmd+R again. The whole layer name is now selected.

I hope this is a bug. Cmd+R should always select the whole layer name.

Same here. Happens 100% of the time. First noticed it yesterday.

Strangely, it reverts back to the usual behaviour after I double-click the layer name. Here’s a screen recording:

I press Cmd+R. The cursor goes to the end of the layer name.
I double-click the layer name. The whole layer name is selected.
I press Cmd+R again. The whole layer name is now selected.

Hopefully this is a bug. Cmd+R should always select the whole layer name.

Same here. It’s driving me nuts.

1 Like

It’s a bug, you can report bugs using the (?) help icon in the bottom right of the screen in Figma. The process is a little cryptic but it works. Not sure if Figma take any notice in the forums unless the thread gets a lot of views.

+1 happened with latest update. Happening 100% of time using ⌘CMD+R

+1. This is driving me insane.

Hey everyone - just a note that I filed a ticket with engineering to take a look at this.

I’ll update when I can – I’m not quite sure the nature of this change on my end at the moment.

2 Likes

UPDATE: I’ve been informed by our engineering team that this should be getting fixed later today. I don’t have an exact time at the moment, but it should address this :blush:

2 Likes

If anyone here is still experiencing this, please let me know! The push went out, and should have fixed this before the weekend.

2 Likes