Open overlay don't work when a component is imported from another page or Figma file

A component with an interaction applied with open overlay works perfectly. However, think of an example where you need to use the same component on another page on the same Figma file or a different Figma file. When I to do so, the component is imported with no issues. The problem is that the interaction with open overlay doesn’t work at all.

I’d solve the issue by importing the same tooltip into the main page and redefine the interaction with open overlay on the same page. However, this’d cause a mess on the main page that I work on.

Is there any solutions to this that I’m not aware of? I’d appreciate any support. Please see the example file from the link below.

Figma File

10 Likes

I have had exactly the same issue. Is this a bug with Figma?

2 Likes

This issue isn’t solved yet :confused:

3 Likes

It seems this is related to Figma’s current restriction of not being able to have a prototype span more than one page in a file. But lots of folks want this capability! If you haven’t already, upvote this post in the Share An Idea section of the forum.

4 Likes

@Figma_Support - please make this possible. Otherwise, what’s the point of making reusable components that DOESN’T work when imported on another Figma file? Just waisting time.

8 Likes

Ditto - a component interaction should work anywhere that component can be applied. you would think that making the overlay a component would also make the interaction possible across an into a different file where you can connect the library and access the component but you can’t.
upvote, please consider

4 Likes

2023 ending still same issue

5 Likes

ok I cannot write only up. but up

4 Likes

Facing the same issue. For complex group of elements with such interactions - eg. a table, this is a pain.

2 Likes

2024 began but still same issue :sob:

5 Likes

1/4th 2024 passed, still the same

1 Like

Hey All, sorry for the confusion!

As @AlicePackard mentioned, this is currently the expected behavior. It’s not possible to create a prototype over multiple pages in a file.

We’ll pass this feedback onto our Prototyping team, but to ensure our team prioritizes and works on this feature be sure to Vote on the feature request here:

3 Likes