How to access font glyphs in a particular font set

I am unable to find the glyphs set in particular fonts in Figma.
I understand you can download glyph plugins, but they seem to be random glyphs not associated with the font, so the plugins are not what I am looking for.
For example, when using Adobe Illustrator and you have a font selected, you can go to the glyphs menu and access all the different associated glyphs to that particular font, this doesn’t seem to be a feature in Figma or something I can seem to find.
If someone could please let me know if this is possible?

Obviously I could outline the font in Illustrator and place it in Figma, but if the font needs to be a live element this isn’t useful.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, Figma doesn’t have such a panel and API, so I developed the Glyphs plugin, and therefore it displays all existing Unicode characters (regardless of the chosen font).

Hi,

Your plugin does not solve the problem Ani3 is describing. “I am unable to find the glyphs set in particular fonts in Figma.”

8 Likes

Wondering if any one has solved this! Love to use all the alternative char in a specific font set!

1 Like

Tank666 solution is good, but it doesn’t solve our problem. Has anyone else been able to find an answer to Ani3’s problem – “I am unable to find the glyphs set in particular fonts in Figma.”

A hack is that I pick the glyph this in illustrator and copy paste it to figma. That works pretty well, and pastes it in the same style used in figma.

2 Likes

This is absolutely mindblowing that there isn’t any way to access the glyphs of the font you are using. Seriously.

3 Likes

Agreed. Very disappointing.

2 Likes

Crazy that I posted this April 22, and there is still no fix for this!

2 Likes

I suppose it’s because Figma is typically for web/mobile but I still think it would be helpful in web/mobile. I’ve been using Figma for print materials and embarrassing to use the same character style for display text, for example. I mean you pay for an entire type family, you should be able to use and access it in it’s entirety in a tool like Figma.

2 Likes

Have the same need. Poor performance Figma not making all of a font available. Please fix this.

1 Like

Need this too

I need this too please

But this does not display the glyphs in a specific font I’m interested in…
E.g. If I’m looking for a Heart glyph in Font Awesome, this would not enable me to find it.
This is certainly a need…

1 Like

JIC this solves your particular need. I’m VERY used using Ai’s glyph panel when I’m laying type. I love fonts with tons of alternate glyphs, swashes, etc etc. In Figma, you can access these, at least generally speaking, in the “Type Settings” panel (the-dots overflow). In the “Details” tab, you’ll see “stylistic alternative” toggles. What I do is dup my type (words, paragraphs, etc) and I set an “ALL CAP”, a “lower case” and a “Sentence Case” when I go through the toggles. I usually find what I’m looking for and will manually combine into my final type set. Works for me! But does make me miss how good typesetting in Ai was.

1 Like

This is not what OP is looking for.

Anything than can be acessed via low or high caps is definitely not a problem. We are talking about letter variants (handwritten fonts need those to have variety).

Lowercase uppercase is something completely different eventho some fonts have special characters in numbers or uppercase. Not not to be confused with glyph variants and alternate letter variations.

1 Like

I’m seeing design systems posted that use Icon fonts like (Segoe Fluent UI) consisting of unique glyphs, but I don’t see a way in Figma to swap out the existing glyph with a different one from the same font. What am I missing? The plugin you referenced seem to allow droping only 1 set of glyphs.

Are icon fonts not supported?

The plugin does not have access to font files because this is not possible using the API. It displays Unicode characters regardless of font.

Right, but doesn’t Figma itself have any support for swapping glyphs from font icons? I can open 3rd party apps and select the glyph I want and then copy it into Figma but thats a really awkward workflow.

What would be the best way to support Icon fonts substitution in shared Design systems?

Unfortunately, this is exactly how everyone works in Figma who uses icon fonts. Here is the official documentation:

1 Like

Thank you for this link and for the quick responses :slight_smile: :fist_right: :fist_left: