Skip to main content
Ryan_Messick
April 1, 2021

Custom spacing in lists between paragraphs and between numbers/bullets and text

  • April 1, 2021
  • 37 replies
  • 18516 views

Thank you figma team for the new list feature! It has been my most anticipated feature for YEARS. There are 2 features that I would love to see to support it.

  1. I believe lists should support paragraph spacing between bullets.

  2. I am unable to start an ordered list at any number other than 1. Which feels too restrictive. I type 2. and start typing and figma changes it to 1.

Does anyone else agree? Is there anything I missed?

37 replies

Veronica1
April 1, 2021

Super stoked to finally have bullet points! It seems paragraph spacing has no affect and it’s not possible to adjust the spacing below each list item at this time. Can this be fixed please?

Vel.Rabe
April 4, 2021

I fully support!

It’d be also nice to change standard bullets to custom ones…

Or at least to change bullet’s appearance according to tab

ChiSenires
Active Member
April 8, 2021

Seconding this please! Was trying to update the spacing between line items earlier, when I realized that Figma doesn’t seem to read list items as paragraphs (just like every other word editor out there).

Chi
YingMing
April 8, 2021

I came up with this plugin to solve the spacing problem – Text to Auto Layout List. Hope I can help you. 😀

Grant1
April 12, 2021

The feature is kind of useless without space after.

L_A
April 13, 2021

I was super happy about lists.Now I had to use them and there is no way to control the spacing in-between bullets!
Thought it’s like any other text editor where you can simply add two line-breaks and you end up with an empty line, but no. You get another bullet … And on top of everything you aren’t even allowed to type in the numbers manually. Disappointing.

Michael_D
April 14, 2021

Definitely agree. I’d say Figma needs to do a bit more user testing before rolling out features. A bullet list is great but fairly useless for a designer without offering the ability to control the spacing between items, which is such a basic level use case. Even PowerPoint offers more control.

Holly_Poon
April 14, 2021

I know the list feature is new, but one major issue I’m having is with the spacing between paragraphs. When the list option is selected, it smushes the lines together and the paragraph spacing adjustment no longer works. The paragraph spacing still works outside of lists, but typing out numbers & dashes is obviously not as convenient as an auto-formatted list.

When I add dashes to text, which starts the list, it will automatically negate the paragraph spacing settings that were already there. Screenshots of issue below. You can see that both text blocks have a paragraph spacing of 20, but the one in list format is far closer together.

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 2.32.11 PM

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 2.32.38 PM

rob1
April 19, 2021

agree with others here that lists is a step in the right direction but control over line spacing and spacing between bullets/numbers and the start of letter forms is crucial. also, another big lacking feature is the ability to color the bullets/numbers independent of the fonts color. as long as we’re on missing features, isn’t it about time for a true super/sub scripting capability?

Bob1
April 27, 2021

Was really hyped with the introduction of bulleted and numbered lists, but can’t find a way to increase the spacing between the list items. Is that just a missing feature in development or am I blind? 🙃