Skip to main content
Baldur_Helgason
March 29, 2022

Creating gradients based on color styles

  • March 29, 2022
  • 34 replies
  • 10478 views

Is there any way to use a “Color Style” in a gradient? I know I can make a “Color Style” that is a gradient, but I want to create a solid color that can be used both in solid fills and gradient fills.

34 replies

Martin_Hill
New Participant
August 3, 2022

Hi @Amir_Binenfeld

Ive noticed this issue has been closed and wondered if there has been a solution or new tool I’m not aware of.

The original issue…

Need:
Figma doesn’t allow to use of color styles for gradients. this is very non-scalable and creates issues when the user wants to bulk change the color of gradients.

Proposal:
Give an option to create a gradient-based on color styles and the option to see and alter the colors from outside of the element your selecting (from the “Selection Colors” section

I would also find this very beneficial .

Continuing the discussion from Create gradients based on color styles:

Amir_Binenfeld
August 3, 2022

Hey @Martin_Hill, unfortunately - no solution yet 😢. The only solution is to create a color style from a gradient but that cause a lot of limitations on using the gradients

Martin_Hill
New Participant
August 3, 2022

Thats a shame 😦 Any ideas how we can get this up voted.

Amir_Binenfeld
August 3, 2022

@Martin_Hill I think the only way is to post it on different forums

Timj
New Participant
October 29, 2022

Just, so not closing the circle on a design system

Kaue_Lima
January 3, 2023

Not only that, but color styles should be nestable. For an example: I can create a color style that uses multiple colors. One base color and one darken color on 20% opacity. That would be wonderful to automatically make darker/lighter shades of my primary color.

Gradients are similar to this since they are colors composed by other colors and I’d love to have a gradient with my primary to secondary for an example.

Julian_Ebert
February 3, 2023

This would save so much time and should make design systems more complete…

Sofie
New Participant
February 23, 2023

I do think it would be really helpful, as the way we create gradients today is basically using hex-codes from the colors that we already use in our palette. Would also propose to add gradients with more options, that can be used as a style. Would love to enter where color 1, 2, 3 etc. is placed (in % - like illustrator) as well as gradient rotation (in deg).

Tony_Fonte
New Member
February 23, 2023

Using color stops and toggling between hex, HSB, RGB, HSL, etc. is really clunky… it would be so much faster to create gradients if we could use saved color styles. Please make this happen, Figma!

Also it causes messiness when selecting a frame and viewing the “selected colors” panel in the right sidebar. Seeing all of these un-saved colors being used is counter productive to using a design system.

Craig_Garner
New Participant
March 7, 2023

Every few months I come back to the forum hoping there’s been movement on this issue but still nothing. Has there been any official response from a Figma team member? This is a really annoying issue that has such a straight-forward solution, I can’t believe it still hasn’t been resolved.