Skip to main content
Anne13
March 14, 2024

Accept library updates per page

  • March 14, 2024
  • 25 replies
  • 1617 views

It would be very helpful if we could accept library updates per page, so that we can exclude some pages from being updated (ready for dev) while accepting the updates for other pages (design WIP pages).

In our Figma files we have separate pages ‘Ready for dev’ to which no changes should be made after handoff. But we want to continue designing on other pages in the same file (working on new iterations), so we want to be able to accept component updates from the library. But these updates are automatically applied to every page in the file, which means the ‘Ready for dev’ designs are also modified and sometimes even break.

I do not want to have to make a separate file for every time I hand over a design, because I want to keep all designs for a specific feature together in 1 file.

A solution would be to be able to accept library updates for specific pages rather than all pages. What do you think about this?

Similar (closed) topics that I’ve found:

25 replies

vdekkernl
Active Member
March 15, 2024

I also had this wish at first, but it is now also in Figma. Now if I want to do an update. The model contains tabs with current page and all pages. With current page as default option. This is what I see:

Anne13
Anne13Author
March 18, 2024

True @vdekkernl, but when you press ‘Update’ or ‘Update all’ in that window, it still updates the instances on all pages, not just the current page. So it doesn’t help for my use case. (I just tried it out to be sure.)

What you can do in the Updates window is press an individual component to see the changes for every single instance in your file. You can then update only the instances you want to update by pressing ‘Update instance’. But this is a lot of work if you want to update everything except the instances on a specific page:

Nicolas_Chatelain
New Participant
March 25, 2024

Accepting Library Update is a key point in the health of a Design System, and yet we feel that it’s left as it is.

Today, only being able to accept updates on the whole file slows down the acceptance of updates by users, because it can change the design under development for example on others pages.

An idea: improve Library Updates modal, both in terms of functionality and UX.

When I select the “Current page” Tab and then the “Update all” button, I want updates to be applied only to the Current page. Obviously the button should be renamed like “Update in the current page".

Figmate
March 27, 2024

Hello @Nicolas_Chatelain, Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Library Updates modal! I noticed another community member requesting something similar over here, so I combined your post to gather all the feedback in one location.

I believe your idea could be valuable for other community members! We are excited to see how other members in the community will react to it.
Please feel free to vote up!

Thank you!

Kevin_Zazzali
New Member
April 1, 2024

What is the actual point of giving users a chance to click All Pages or Current Pages if clicking Current applies the changes to All?

This feels like a glitch rather than an improved suggestion. If you click Update Current it should, you know, Update Current, not all.

So I’m pretty confused.

Kevin_Zazzali
New Member
April 1, 2024

@Junko3 See above, please!

Figmate
April 3, 2024

Hi @Kevin_Zazzali, Thank you for bringing this to our attention! I see why you’re feeling puzzled.

Currently, as described in Review and accept library updates Help Center article, when the [Current page] tab is selected in the [Update] tab, the [Update all] button will only update the assets listed on the Current page tab.
I also tested this on my end and experienced the same behavior as outlined in the article.

If you find that assets from other pages are being updated when you click [Update all] in the [Current page] tab, could you kindly provide a quick video recording or screenshots of the issue? It would be beneficial to have the entire Figma screen visible, including the left and right panels displaying the properties and layers.
This additional information will help us gain a better understanding of the problem and see if we can replicate the same behavior.

I look forward to hearing from you soon! Please don’t hesitate to let us know if there’s anything else I might have missed.

Thanks,

Anne13
Anne13Author
April 3, 2024

@Junko3 yes it will only update those assets that are used on the current page, but it will update those assets everywhere in the file (also on other pages)! That is what this post is about. I would like to be able to update all assets only on a single page without updating the (same) assets on other pages.

Kevin_Zazzali
New Member
April 3, 2024

@Junko3 what @Anne13 is experiencing is exactly what I’m experiencing.

So, your statement “the [Update all] button will only update the assets listed on the Current page tab,” is NOT accurate.

Anne13
Anne13Author
April 3, 2024

@Kevin_Zazzali no, it’s correct what @Junko3 says, it’s just not the issue we are talking about.

For example if you are using the asset coolComponent on page 2, but this asset is not used on page 1, the coolComponent on page 2 won’t be updated if you press ‘Update all’ on page 1. That’s what Junko is saying. But if you are using the asset awesomeComponent on page 1 and 2, and you press ‘Update all’ on page 1, it also updates awesomeComponent on page 2. That is the issue we are experiencing.

Hopefully that clears up the misunderstanding.