Video thumbnails

I’d like to be able to choose a thumbnail (either a frame from the video, or upload a thumbnail) for an object that has Video fill. Currently Figma uses the first frame of the video as the thumbnail, and if that video starts all black, then the thumbnail is just black. It will show fine in prototype view or mirror once the video starts playing, but when you are editing it would be helpful to see a frame of the actual video so you can adjust properties of elements (e.g. colors, opacities, gradients) and see what they’ll look like composited with video.

19 Likes

+1 on that one! It is currently possible to set up a thumbnail for GIFs but not for videos :frowning: I am surprised there are not more people bothered by this?..

7 Likes

Thanks for this!!!
What about adding the possibility to choose a thumbnail like for GIFs? I had high hope this update would bring it.

5 Likes

I was so sure you could do this the other day, as were my team. It’s such a needed/obvious feature that we must have fooled ourselves to thinking it was possible (or more likely we did it with a GIF once and just assumed it would carry over)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I would also like this. I’ll often have a video that starts off blank and has stuff that animates in, it’s very useful to design around the midpoint rather than that blank initial state.

@figma can you please hire me and I’ll make this feature

1 Like